Check out these pages for basic information on a variety of collecting related topics such as insurance, appraisals, restoration, reproductions, and tips for taking better photos and building better websites:
- What’s it worth: How are values determined for antiques and collectibles? From condition to provenance to scarcity, understand the top ten factors that influence value.
- Preservation: Is your collection well protected? Get the basics on preventing damage from light, heat, moisture, pests and humans.
- Restoration: Don’t do it, at least until you’ve read this! Understand the pros and cons of restoration, including its potential impact on an item’s value.
- Reproductions: Beware of reproductions and fakes, which abound in the world of antiques and collectibles.
- Insurance: About insuring your collection. Get the scoop on insurance policies and terminology, and how to select and work with an insurer.
- Appraisals: About getting your collection appraised. How to select an appraiser and make sure you get what you need from them.
- Web Publishing: Do’s and don’ts for a better website. Read this if you’re thinking about building a website or upgrading one you already have.
- Scanning: Scanning tips for your collectible paper and photos. Read this before diving into a big scanning project.
- Photography: Want great pictures of your collection? Check out these simple tips for getting better, more consistent shots.