Nickel Plate Rail Road oil can

In Railroadiana > Show & Tell and Petroliana > Oil Cans > Show & Tell.
Railroadiana73 of 660Great Southern and Western Railway Notice signWooden Boxcar Insurance Tag

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
Ted_StraubTed_Straub loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

gargoyleco…

I found this at the tractor show a few weeks ago,it need degreased,and now it's done.
If anybody could tell me what this was used for(yes it held oil),I would be a happy-camper!
Thanks for looking!

Comments

1. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks phil!
  2. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks manikin!
  3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 1 year ago
    My great grandfather worked for the railroad in Manchester Depot, VT. I remember him having all kinds of these long spouted cans (similar) out in the barn. He would go in the middle of the night and walk over to the depot to meet the train. I know he had to do something to the brakes and the wheels. I am not sure if he oiled them with these or what but his main job was brakes and the wheels. Unfortunately I seldom went with him because I was afraid of the dark and when he crawled under the train I was left alone.
  4. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks fhrjr,vansky,vetraio,blunderbuss,and Ted! Thanks fhrjr,at least I may be headed in the right direction now!
  5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 1 year ago
    If this hasn't been totally cleaned give it a sniff. See if it smells like kerosene. If it has been sitting closed up the odor might linger. I can't see the spout tip but I remember seeing my grandfather fill lanterns with kerosene out of a big can with a long spout. Keep in mind I was very young so what looked big to me then may have not been. Gramp was a bit old world, he didn't believe in flashlights, banks, paper money or even driving a car.
  6. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    No, it was oil and -very- greasy!Years of grease!This is a pretty large can,I have lantern cans,but they all have small diameter spouts.I will post one I bought along with this one soon.LOL my grandpa probably still has money buried around the farm!
  7. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks petey!
  8. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks tom!
  9. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Thanks sean!
  10. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    your very welcome gargoylecollector!!!
  11. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago