Posted 11 months ago
This automatic watch, sold by the Perpetual Selfwinding Watch Co. of New York, was produced by the firm of Frey & Co. in Biel around 1935 and functioned with a 'pendulum' winding in one direction.
THE PERPETUAL AUTOMATIC - Pendulum Winding
The basic movement was a small formed movement without a hand-winding mechanism, surrounded by the automatic component in the form of a frame. The winding click, mounted on the pendulum on a spring, provided protection against over-winding by a clutch device. The pendulum's 'swing' was not limited by buffers. but by pins, and a loud clicking was heard while winding. In some models (like this one), the hand setting crown was located on the left side by the numeral 9.