Herschede Hall Clock, Pattern No. 122

In Clocks > Grandfather Clocks > Show & Tell and Clocks > Weight Driven Clocks > Show & Tell.
Grandfather Clocks9 of 59Clockmaker TrademarkMy first antique grandfather clock

rlwindlerlwindle loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
nwclocksnwclocks loves this.
Vintage_JoeVintage_Joe loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Bruce99

This is our Herschede Pattern No. 122, Nine-Tube, Three Chime, Weight-Driven Hall Clock.

The case is made of brown Honduran Mahogany and is a towering 8 feet 5 inches tall by 27 inches wide by 17 1/2 inches deep. Tall Case, or "Grandfather" clocks measuring over 8 feet were often referred to as "Hall Clocks" because that was the only place in most houses where they could fit. In Foyers, Hallways or near Staircases.

Frank Herschede, the founder of the Herschede Hall Clock Company (originally in Cincinnati, Ohio), began selling his own clocks to the public in 1885. His family continued manufacturing clocks until 1967. Going by serial numbers (started in 1911) the Herschede family company produced well over 623,000 clocks by 1967.

In decline, the Company changed hands several times and for the most part it stopped producing clocks in 1984, although between 1989 and 1992 a brief attempt was made to start manufacturing clocks under the Herschede name again. Only about 20 were made before manufacturing was shut down for good. Replacement parts are still being manufactured by a company out of Waynesville, Ohio.

The Pattern No. 122 was an early offering from the Herschede Hall Clock Company. Herschede started offering it in 1910, about the same time they began manufacturing their own Tubular Bell movements. This was a move that ultimately allowed Herschede to stay in business through World Wars I & II when other companies who imported their movements from Germany struggled to stay solvent.

When brass was unavailable for civilian production, Herschede was able to change their lines to manufacture products for military use.

Our clock was manufactured after WW I in 1921. (Serial No. 16092).

It's one of our most prized Tall Case clocks to date.

We hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    I DONT BELIEVE IT:) my clock man is back praise the lord:) lol:) she let you come back on? Just kidding:) stunning clock :) love it :)
  2. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the appreciation Vintage_Joe and Sean. You know that I've been here all along Sean! I'm not a mega-collector like you....just trying to contribute in my own little way. :) Thanks again for stopping by.
  3. nwclocks nwclocks, 1 year ago
    Bruce,Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful clock. I imagine it sounds as good as it looks too!
    George
  4. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the appreciation and nice comments George. It does have a wonderful sound, but it needs an overhaul which I hope to get around to later this year.

Thanks also to rlwindle and petey. I appreciate it.
  5. nldionne nldionne, 1 year ago
    You contribute a lot Bruce99
  6. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Thank you nldionne: for stopping by; for your appreciation and very kind words! :)
  7. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    VERY Outstanding Timepiece Bruce, So glad you chose to share this particular one. Two Thumbs up. Loved reading the description , I agree it would be one of my "Prized" pieces also.
  8. toolate2 toolate2, 1 year ago
    Wow! What a beauty... Bruce, thank you for all you do here on CW and thank you for sharing this amazing clock!!!
  9. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Thank you Kerry and Nathan for stopping by. Your "Love its" and warm words are very much appreciated!
    Thank you vetratio50, smiata and geo26e for your appreciation! I'm glad that you enjoyed the post. :)
  10. mikelv85 mikelv85, 1 year ago
    What an incredible clock ! I doubt something like this would ever turn up at one of our thrift stores. I bet the chimes are heavenly too !
  11. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Hi mikelv85. Thank you for the appreciation and for the interest. We really enjoy the tubular bell clocks. This one sounds wonderful, but the movement needs some work. We got it at an estate sale. It came out of a prominent home in Harrisburg, PA. It had been in the family for several generations. That's all the provenance information we could get from the auctioneer as the surviving family members wished to remain anonymous. Thanks again.
  12. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Thank you Michael. Much appreciated!
  13. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    Your very welcome Bruce99:) wow major beautiful clock:)
  14. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Morning Bruce, coffee's on, your welcome to a cup :-)
  15. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Hi Kerry! Thanks for the invite. I would've really enjoyed that. Hope you had a great day. :)
  16. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Rebuilt a patio fence, new rails, posts and lattice around the east and south side, built and installed new wooden gates also, been a busy day, :-)
  17. Bruce99 Bruce99, 12 months ago
    Thank you Tom.
  18. Bruce99 Bruce99, 12 months ago
    Thanks for the appreciation Dave.
  19. tom61375 tom61375, 12 months ago
    You are very welcome Bruce99! =)
  20. Bruce99 Bruce99, 9 months ago
    Thank you Pops52 for stopping by and for the appreciation! Happy Holidays. :)
  21. Bruce99 Bruce99, 8 months ago
    Thanks for stopping by with some "Love" Tutzie and Pops52! :)
  22. Peavie Peavie, 6 months ago
    Bruce99, thanks for your "love" regarding my Tall/Case/Grandfather/Hall clock. I contacted the Canadian Clock Museum regarding Arthur Pequegnat Clock Maker (Wikipedia Research) and learned the following:

"For sure the dial and hands are not Pequegnat. Your case is similar to the Pequegnat LEADER model, but the latter was never produced with a brass dial, just the mission dial (brass numbers on the wood). The Pequegnat wood pendulum rods were always curved on the front but flat on the back. Original American wood rods (and replacements available today from e.g. Merritts) are curved front and back. "

The Curator, Allan Symons, asked for a photo of the works, but I don't think I can access them, so may not pursue it at this time. My clock, like yours, needs some work, both on the clock and the case, but will have to work on this later.

I do have several other clocks that I would like to ask you about, if you have time to look at them. You seem to have a great knowledge and I would like to tap into that if you don't mind. I will add to my clock postings when you give the OK.
  23. Perpcal70000000, 6 months ago
    A big bold statement indeed this clock makes. Which chimes does it play? I have heard of and now seen several of these clocks thanks to a penfriend who lives in Wisconsin. These were quality-built clocks all right.
  24. Bruce99 Bruce99, 6 months ago
    Hi Peavie, sorry for the delay, I just now saw your post here. Glad you were able to get some information on your clock. I was able to identify your Sessions Mantel Clock so hopefully that will help some. I have some resources so fire away. If I can help you, I will.

Perpcal70000000, this particular clock can play three different chime melodies: Westminster, Canterbury (which was proprietary to Herschede) and Whittington.

Thanks to both of you for stopping by and for your "Loves".
  25. Perpcal70000000, 6 months ago
    Many thanks for advising re the chimes.

Perpcal
  26. SEAN68 SEAN68, 5 months ago
    Hello Bruce !! :)Hows your Day")
  27. rlwindle rlwindle, 4 months ago
    Bruce, Love the tall case clock, I have had two in my lifetime, one a Seth Thomas that my ex got in the divorce settlement, it had four tubular bells. I remember hearing it strike in the middle of the night when I was half asleep a great comforting sound. I bought it at a high end department store here in Dallas, it was marked down because is was missing a weight casing, it still had the weights that went in the casing. I bought a new weight casing for it. Last time I saw it, it was in pitiful condition.

I currently have a 1922 FOREIGN (made and exported out of England) tall case clock. The movement is not marked, but the man who services it said it was made by Mauthe. FOREIGN bought the movements for their clocks in Germany put them in their cases and sold them for the export market. This one has a rod chime bar, but still sounds sweet to me.

Thanks for sharing.
  28. Bruce99 Bruce99, 3 months ago
    Obsessive and Mikelv85, thanks for stopping by and for the "loves"!
    You're welcome Perpcal70000000!
    Sean, doing well thanks. Hope you're having a great summer! :)
    Russ, thank you for stopping by and sharing some of your experiences with Tall Case Clocks. They can house some very long and beautiful chime rods. I think they can have a wonderful "presence". I'm sure your Foreign English clock is a nice addition to that great collection of clocks you have built.
  29. Bruce99 Bruce99, 2 months ago
    jojo63, thank you! Much appreciated.
  30. Bruce99 Bruce99, 21 days ago
    Thank you smiata! Glad you liked it. :)