Imperial Grape Decanter

In Glassware > Carnival Glass > Show & Tell and Bottles > Decanters > Show & Tell.
Carnival Glass50 of 290Indiana Glass Carnival Glass hostess dishOld Man Need Help Again! Carnival Glass Plate Can't Find Pattern or Maker?

smiatasmiata loves this.
Moonstonelover.jrMoonstonelover.jr loves this.
Shawnl86Shawnl86 loves this.
inkyinky likes this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
czechmanczechman loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Robyn

Hi there,
Just purchased this beautiful Imperial Decanter. It stands 12 1/8 inches tall with its stopper.
According to the seller, this is an old decanter, claiming to be almost 100 yrs old. I am having my doubts although still very very happy with this beautiful piece.
Can somebody please shed some light on the age of this piece ?
I do know about starred bases of decanters and pre logo & signed, but this has me stumped.
I have now read that there is some old Imperial pieces that were not star bases. I have looked at the logos for Imperial over the years and I cant seem to match it. Its not a fake.
I have 2 other Imperial decanters like this one, one is a starred base and the other is a Green Verde set which is a smooth but stippled bottom, not an old set.
Is this a later set or an old one ?
Thanks

Comments

1. TallCakes TallCakes, 1 year ago
    In an Imperial Glass catalog the dates are 1910-1929, and mentioned in 3 colors; to me this seems to match Peacock but I'm not too good with carnival colors. This was pattern #473 and called Niagara.
  2. Robyn Robyn, 1 year ago
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your message. But Im pretty positive this is called Grape. There is no peacock on the glass. I have 2 others which are definitely called Grape by Imperial. Just unsure of its age, the bottom of this decanter is quite different from the other 2. I know starred bases are old and I have found that there were some old pieces that were not starred bases. I am very interested though in the Imperial Catalog you have. Is it just called " Imperial Glass Catalog " ? Will try and find one.
    Thanks,
    Robyn
  3. TallCakes TallCakes, 1 year ago
    Niagara is the name given by Imperial Glass; Grape is just a collector name based on the grape motif. Many collectors thru the years have assigned and used collectors' pattern names since they are typically motif related. Peacock is a color name given by IG because of the range of colors evident in this glass. Unfortunately no bottoms or mention of their design is in the catalog. One glass research member site has the date as 1914 for this pattern. In the early days when IG first started using marks they were not very consistent. The reference I have is titled 'Imperial Glass' and is a compilation of several catalogs.

One of the issues I find in trying to research carnival glass is collectors are happy to use their own assigned collectors' names for patterns and colors, as they ignore/dismiss original manufacturers data, which makes it more difficult to do research.
  4. Robyn Robyn, 1 year ago
    ooh ok, thanks for that info. I had no idea on some of that. Will look into getting a book on Imperial.
    Thanks so much for this info.

Robyn
  5. Shawnl86 Shawnl86, 1 year ago
    Very Nice Colors, and the stoppers are not often found!
  6. Robyn Robyn, 1 year ago
    Thanks, I thought it was just beautiful and even more so in real life.
  7. Shawnl86 Shawnl86, 11 months ago
    Dont worry though if its not Marked its definitely older