Hotel Annunciator circa 1900

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware816 of 2963old Italian barometer1955 - Lufkin Rule Co. Precision Tools Catalog

ttomtuckerttomtucker loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
trunkingforfuntrunkingforfun loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

walksoftly

Also known as an electric needle annunciator or Butlers call bell.
Purchased this at a recent auction as I recognized it from one seen here on CW. Apparently there were only two of us at the auction that knew what it was or the other bidder just thought it looked cool.
The Partrick, Carter & Wilkens Hotel Annunciator allowed guests to summon staff if they needed room service of some sort. When the guest pushed the button in their room it powered the electromagnet on the board, which would indicate the room number that needed service. The needle would stay in place until the service staff reset the board by pulling the knob on the bottom of the box.
The system ran off a 1.4 volt battery system.
The company started out as Partrick & Carter in 1867 in Philadelphia, with Carter holding most of the inventions. Wilkens joined the company sometime around 1900 & this dates this piece to around that time.
The Company started out in the telegraph industry & eventually made batteries, burglar alarms, fans, electroplating systems, door bells & many other items.
The unit needs refinishing, the electromagnets all work but it is missing the unit that powered the bell striker.
In 1893 this unit sold for $11.20 a larger 50 room annunciator sold for $50.00.

Comments

1. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Link to the other one listed here on CW
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Adjusted for inflation it would cost $281.83 in 2012 dollars.
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    That is a bargain cost for all the complexity, this is a fantastic piece you acquired, congratulations. I would display it with an old copper telephone like the hotel variety in Sweden, I still have one of those. Any thoughts on restoration, I like it the way it is. Dear God, all those wires ! I don't know if I would have known what it was although I would almost think a hotel switchboard, I remember recently on tv they showed the system for the Devonshires !~
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    It really is a beauty !
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks Phil for the love & the comment. If I hadn't already done some research on the other one posted here on CW I wouldn't have known what it was. I probably still would have bid on it anyway, I just love the look of it. I would like to get the missing part & connect it to an period push button switch or a panel of switches so that people can see it work (or I can play with).
  6. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks for giving this old technology some love ttom, vet, pw & trunking.
  7. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    very very beautiful:)
  8. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love & the generous comment Sean, always appreciated.
  9. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks for checking in to give this some love Moon, toolate, gargoyle & official.
  10. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 12 months ago
    Dave...if you have a large house maybe you could make this box operable, and hook it up to all of your rooms! It would be fun!
  11. walksoftly walksoftly, 12 months ago
    That would be great Ted, but the house is not quite big enough & my lovely wife is not going to play the part of the maid. :-)
  12. walksoftly walksoftly, 12 months ago
    Thanks for the love Ted, DrFluffy, rocker & Hunter.
  13. SEAN68 SEAN68, 12 months ago
    anytime Walksoftly:)
  14. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 12 months ago
    Some how I like these hotel annunciators. It took a pretty good technicians to install these drop boards. Electric Goods Manufacturing Co made annunicators that would handle up to 500 locations. Two of these locations were the Martha Washington Hotel in NY City and the Raymond Hotel in Pasadena, CA.
  15. walksoftly walksoftly, 12 months ago
    @ ttom With 500 indicators they must have been large & required several people watching them during the day. Do they still exist, or pictures at least.
  16. kerry10456 kerry10456, 12 months ago
    David, you sneaked this one past me, LOVE it, great piece of communication history. :-)
  17. walksoftly walksoftly, 12 months ago
    Thanks for giving this old technology some love Antique Toys, Longings, smiata, sanhardin b buss & Aimathena .

Kerry there is no sneaking one past you, thanks for the double love & the kind words.
  18. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 12 months ago
    walksoftly, I will post some of the larger annunciator from a catalog I have.
  19. walksoftly walksoftly, 12 months ago
    Thanks for the love on this old beauty trunkman, EJW, chrissy & Aim.
  20. walksoftly walksoftly, 11 months ago
    Thanks for giving this old technology some love Roper, Tom & Petey.
  21. bratjdd bratjdd, 11 months ago
    Very Cool!!! I would have not know what this could have been If I saw one. Thank you for the History :)
  22. walksoftly walksoftly, 11 months ago
    Thanks for the love Brat, I'm glad that you enjoyed your history lesson:-)
  23. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    I really love this!!! Send # 10 up to my room!! You can not get better than a 10!!
  24. toracat toracat, 11 months ago
    Send # 10 up to my room!!
  25. walksoftly walksoftly, 11 months ago
    Sorry Don I can't, # 10 refuses to leave her room, she heard about Simon LoL
    Thanks for the love & comments Don.
  26. walksoftly walksoftly, 9 months ago
    Link for the annunciator posted by ttomtucker;
  27. Aimathena, 9 months ago
    Hiya WS xoxox :^D
  28. walksoftly walksoftly, 9 months ago
    Hiya Aim xoxox :^D
  29. walksoftly walksoftly, 9 months ago
    Thanks for giving this old technology some love vintagecarmascot & Roy.
  30. walksoftly walksoftly, 7 months ago
    Thanks for the love Lee, Jono & ttom.