Macbeth-Evans glass bowl, uranium, c.1930/40s

In Glassware > Milk Glass > Show & Tell.
Milk Glass39 of 170Beautiful Westmoreland Milk Glass Lace Edge Basket Dish with Swan Cover / Circa 1940Moonstone or milk glass oil lamp?

walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
aldo78aldo78 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
Slave-to-glassSlave-to-glass loves this.
HedgewalkerHedgewalker loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.

Posted 10 months ago

Vintagefran

My first piece of uranium glass!
Didn't know it at the time, but think this must be whats known as custard glass, please correct me anyone, I'm a complete novice so could easily be mistaken.
This simple, elegant bowl got me to fall in love with glass.
I think its beautiful, stunning with the sunlight behind it.
In lovely condition.

Thanks for the ID CW:)

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. TallCakes TallCakes, 10 months ago
    Macbeth-Evans' Monax Petalware, c.1930s
  2. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 10 months ago
    Wow, I'm very impressed.
    I thought I'd probably never know its age or maker.
    Thanks Tall Cakes:)
    I'm over the moon its from the '30s.
  3. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 10 months ago
    Hey Fran Check out rear center in this post.It is a Monax Petalware platter and it glows.Not a superbright piece but it is uranium glass.I will post close up .

4. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 10 months ago
    Thanks HW i will.
    I did test this with my feeble one LED torch ( I'm still waiting for a 41 LED one to come) and it didn't react, but it could be the lights too feeble. It would be fantastic if this was uranium glass.
  5. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 10 months ago
    Hey again. These were produced for a long period.I believe from 1930s - 1950s. During WWII the US gov banned use of uranium in glass so after 1940 or so they have no uranium.
  6. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 10 months ago
    This is also a piece that glows under fluorescent blacklight and not the led lights.
  7. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 10 months ago
    Thanks HW.
    I didn't buy this expecting it to glow, so I'm not too bothered if it doesn't, (though it would be great if it does:)
    I'm looking into getting a fluorescent blacklight. My display cabinet has a socket for a light, though I've never used it, but I'll try it. If it works though I'll need another cabinet, my toys will have to move.
  8. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 10 months ago
    I've tested this again in the dark and with a one LED bulb torch i see a very faint green tinge, i do believe this is uranium glass, I'm amazed and over joyed:) I can't wait to get a better black light.