Galalith lizard brooch and seahorse earrings

In Costume Jewelry > Art Deco Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Costume Jewelry50 of 65Red and black bakelite flapper lariat/beltChrome and galalith art deco bow brooch

nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
LanceGLanceG likes this.
Agram.mAgram.m loves this.
KatzlKatzl loves this.
HunterHunter likes this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
ThoscahabaThoscahaba loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 12 months ago

Newtimes

I bought the green seahorse earclips together with a matching green bakelite bracelet. The earclips are actually galalith and not bakelite as I thought when I bought them. I still love them!
These sort of jewelry was very popular during the art deco period.
The brooch is a lizard I bought on a different occasion. Its not as scratched as it seems, its just really dirty and I tried to wipe it of with a wet cloth before I took the picture (not a good idea!). It says 'deposé' on the back. Its a pitty its not green, otherwise it would have been a reasonably good match with the earrings. One day I might find the matching bracelet, brooch and pendant with sea horses!
I hope you enjoy them.

Comments

1. Newtimes Newtimes, 12 months ago
    Thanks Katzl, Hunter, valentino, Moonstonelover, vetraio50, DrFluffy, Manikin, kerry, Thoscahaba, sarahoff, bratjdd and Agram for loving my jewelry!
  2. Katzl Katzl, 12 months ago
    Maybe you already know, but if not- I can tell you that this jewellery was made by the first underwater filmmaker Jean Painlevé and his wife, Geneviève Hamon.
    They made a famous and groundbreaking film about the life of seahorses "L'Hippocampe", which inspired surrealism, and artists such as Man Ray, Bunuel, and more.
    His motto was "Science is Fiction".
    I think this brings another dimension to this beautiful jewellery!
  3. Newtimes Newtimes, 12 months ago
    Hey Katzl, thank you very much for your interesting comment. I did not know Jean Painlevé, I had only seen Jacques Cousteau.
    I looked up l'Hippocampe' on internet and its really nice to see.
    This is one of the reasons I like CW so much, you can learn so much.
    Thanks a lot!
  4. Katzl Katzl, 12 months ago
    You're welcome! It's always fun to share! :)
  5. LanceG LanceG, 12 months ago
    Those would be awesome cufflinks...