Very old level

In Tools and Hardware > Levels > Show & Tell.
Levels6 of 16Very old level - IIMachinist Level with WW2 history

mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.
pops52pops52 loves this.
AzTomAzTom loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
geo26egeo26e loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

TheRoper

I'm very glad with my last purchase; This is an old level, based on the libella principle. It is in the shape of isosceles triangle with sides of 10 mm - 11.5 mm - 11.5 mm. How old is it I have no idea. It can be from XIX c, or it can be from XIII c., when the construction of Cologne Cathedral commenced... So if you can find any clue...

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Now, that's an oldie! Never seen or heard of one. Great find. Deserves a shadow-box display.
  2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Studying this some more, it appears it has to level from underneath. Am I missing something?
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    What is the libella principle?
    Why are there three connection points?
  4. TheRoper TheRoper, 1 year ago
    @ blunderbuss2: Soon you'll see the principe, guys! I made some restorations, so I'll show the level in action soon.

@ walksoftly: Here you can find some info about libella;
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    I've been searching for another example of this, but no luck so far.
    Would it not be more appropriate to call it a line level?
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    I've seen line-levels in the bubble style & they were small & light. This would certainly be too heavy unless it's made of styrofoam.
  7. AzTom AzTom, 1 year ago
    Didn't the early transits have something similar to this to set them up?
  8. AzTom AzTom, 1 year ago
    I hit the post button by accident.

This would be really cool set up on a string with the plumb bob hanging on it. Is it made of brass/bronze?
  9. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    The open eye appears to be made to accept a line, wire, twine, we aren't talking thread here B'Buss :-)).
    This would be perfect for knowing if two parallel walls were built to the same height, or where level was in relation to a slope.
  10. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    No matter what line, wire etc. you use or how tight, it will sag when you hang a heavy weight on it. If placed in the exact middle, it should be accurate.
  11. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Totally agree with you.
  12. TheRoper TheRoper, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the comments, guys! I think we have found enough clues and answers with a mutual efforts! Thank you once again!