Sterling Military Wings

In Military and Wartime > Military Insignia and Pins > Show & Tell.
Military Insignia and Pins41 of 182These ones are not like the others... Sterling...US brass military pin

lisalisa loves this.
antiques-in-njantiques-in-nj loves this.
tombraidertombraider loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.

Posted 11 months ago

DrFluffy

I bought a box full of military items, and these were among them. All of these pins are marked Sterling. In total there are 16 of them. Some feel a little older and the patina is a bit darker too.
I am still not clear what branch these belong to. Any information is highly appreciated.

Comments

1. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 11 months ago
    Wow, that's a nice haul!

Those are colonel's rank insignia, and I believe they were identical for army, air force and marines. In the navy or coast guard a captain may wear these, but a navy captain is like an army colonel, although an army captain is like a navy lieutenant. Confusing, no? this may help: http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/rank/

These days the rank insignia isn't sterling, and usually is attached by two tack-like pins. (clutch pins) That these are sterling and have the safety pin like closure makes then likely to be older examples. You'll notice the eagles face different directions. This way when worn in pairs, the eagle would face forward on both the left and right shoulder strap.
  2. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    Chrisnp... You are awesome... I really appreciate all the info on this post and the my other ones too.
    Kevin, walksoftly, Phil, bratjdd, tombraider and anitques-in-nj... Thank you for the loves.
  3. Zowie Zowie, 11 months ago
    You have quite a different collection of things very nice indeed. I like all sorts of things myself just what catches eye at the time.
  4. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    GC, ttom, Zowie and Thomas... Thank you for the loves. Zowie... I know, I just can't stop at one category, or two or three... I am all over the map :)
  5. Zowie Zowie, 11 months ago
    You 7 me both seem to be in the same place at the moment
  6. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    pickrknows and blunderbuss thanks for the loves.
  7. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    Pops52, thank you...
  8. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    Sean Thank you
  9. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 11 months ago
    Poop (heehee), thank you...
  10. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 11 months ago
    thanking poop?ok ,I GOT IT! :)