" Betty " Queen of Automobile Ornaments C1923 Magazine Ad

In Art Deco > Show & Tell and Classic Cars > Hood Ornaments > Show & Tell.
Art Deco768 of 2169IKORA Art Deco bronze of a woman . My new purchase :-)

AmandajaneAmandajane loves this.
rniedermanrniederman loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

PhilDavidA…

Betty - Queen of Automobile Ornaments, C 1923 magazine ad

I spent a fair bit of time, quite a lot actually, resurrecting these rare ads for "Betty" - The Automobile Ornament. It was very small and had to do new letters as the old ones were unreadable in a large photo.

Betty Pinkston - March 6, 1903 – April 6, 1989
Betty Becker Pinkston won gold and silver in diving at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.
Clarence Pinkston met Elizabeth "Betty" Becker at the 1924 Games; they later married and Pink became Betty's coach.

C1923.

Betty was famous in California before her Olympic win and it would seem that the mascot preceeded the win, which makes sense since the mascot was made in California.

This was the material I was getting ready for Hardbrake when I started it in the early summer. The info goes well with Hardbrake's incredible Betty mascot which is the brunette variety. There was another similar but different mascot that was made with blonde hair ( See photos 4 &5), both I would imagine are quite rare and desirable. Please take a look again at Hardbrake's gem when you get the chance.

Comments

1. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    here is a link again to the beautiful Betty mascot that Hardbrake has in his collection, superb :

2. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    So interesting! Thanks for sharing!
  3. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Love it!

4. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    You put a lot of effort into this, it certainly completes & compliments Hardbrake's post!
    Love it, well done my friend!
  5. Aimathena, 1 year ago
    Cute! So is the new profile pic. I need photography lessons Phil
  6. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    As you did for me in this case it took a lot of time & effort very well done I have so many new ones to put down & try & look into just need to do some changes to format of site & other things. Hope you had a good trip
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Yes, thanks Zowie, just love to clear my mind from all on a holiday to NYC.
  8. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Rob, Mike and aghcollect for the loves, highly appreciated.
  9. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    It would be a very busy place. I have a porclein girl on my site & have never found anything on it . It looks a lot like this lady only mine is just a cheapy just thought it was cute at the time.
  10. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Zowie, don't be too hard on your piece. There appears to be many things based on this piece and other mascots. In France they have a "Speed Nymph" which is similar but bent forward more. I have a bronze tazza that was designed with them underneath which I never realized until recently. I have had that tazza since 1985 however.
  11. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Good reading Phil and lots of research involved, Kudos
  12. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you AmberRose, aldo78, & fledermaus for the loves - much appreciated and thank you AmberRose for the comment !
  13. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you geo26e, gargoylecollector, AzTom, czechman, for the loves, I appreciate you all !~
  14. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you walksoftly for the love and the most appreciated comment !~
  15. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Moonstonelover21 for the love !
  16. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanksgiving weekend here, gotta get the food prepared !~
  17. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving Phil!
  18. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks David, hope you have a great Thanksgiving going on with your family, I finally got the turkey in the oven an hour ago.
  19. inky inky, 1 year ago
    Great read Phil...:-)
  20. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks Mani for the love, much appreciated !~
  21. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the loves DrFluffy, Aimathena, vetraio50, LeahGoodwin, valentino97 I do appreciate the loves !~
  22. SpunkysMom SpunkysMom, 1 year ago
    You've got a lot of creative energy within you , Phil! Thanks for sharing!
  23. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the loves DrFluffy, Aimathena, vetraio50, LeahGoodwin & valentino97, very appreciated !~
  24. tom61375 tom61375, 1 year ago
    Your new photo is AWESOME!!
  25. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    I take it you mean Betty's phot0.
  26. tom61375 tom61375, 1 year ago
    I chose my words very carefully when I wrote that! LoL
  27. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the loves Zowie, and really appreciate the nice comments as always, thank you also lisa for the love, much appreciated !~
  28. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks Kerry for the love and the very nice compliment, always appreciated from you. Thank you Bernie for the love, appreciated !~
  29. Zowie Zowie, 1 year ago
    My pleasure as alway's when I casme over from Email all pictures were missing, they'll be back. ( Clint ). Just as I typed last words when reading back it reminded me of Clint Eastwood. I am a dork
  30. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you pops52 for the love, always appreciated and right back at you !~
  31. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you inky, toolate2, SEAN68 for the loves, much appreciated. Thanks inky for the comment, appreciated also !~
  32. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you AmberRose for the love and the comment, always appreciated !~
  33. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you tom61375 for the love and generous comment !~
  34. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Good day to you sir, Love all the emails, been laughing hard at all ;-
    )))
  35. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the loves Roycroftbooksfromme1, petey, Hedgewalker, Manikin, officialfuel, bratjdd, SpunkysMom & Lisa for the loves.
  36. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks very much sarahoff for the love !~
  37. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks kindly for the loves Zowie, vanskyock24, & Vintagefran !~
  38. Zowie Zowie, 12 months ago
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is a Tazza, Glad I have my spell check back. Take care of yourself & family if you have one
  39. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Hi Zowie, here is a tazza, sometimes the stem can even be a figure of a lady, etc:

40. Zowie Zowie, 12 months ago
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly simple enough question I have just never heard that term before now it's one for the memory & I can confuse someone else. Thank you
  41. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    I love them, Zowie, esp. ones with a figural support to them. I have seen some room stoppers when I went to Christies in NY.

42. Zowie Zowie, 12 months ago
    There is such a variety out there I would say you have a good collection
  43. swimminghalloffame swimminghalloffame, 10 months ago
    I've posted an article on this "Betty mystery" on our website. I've never seen a photo of Betty Pinkston in bathing shoes like the Betty mascots. But the ones worn by Betty Williams in the Tribune article are exact. Then there is the hair. A question for you. How tall are your originals? Here's the link to my article
  44. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Betty was living in California where the company originates and she already was very well known there before the 24 Olympics, winning various medals. Your article has no viable proof probably no more than the people who collect mascots, including the writers of the mascot books. They have always believed it was Betty Becker Pinkston. We both don't seem to know for sure, and at this date it would be hard to find out.
  45. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Just for your info there is also an ashtray stand about 30 inches tall which seems to have the exact same figure as the mascot. It was produced in Canada and in the U.S. it appears.
  46. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    That ashtray seems to have been attributed by many to Betty Becker.

I also owned a diving girl statue that was sand cast and thought to be American. Also early 1920's.
  47. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    The Ziegfield follies were extremely popular during that time and many of the girls in those shows had the same hair. Any number of them at that time could have pulled off the picture you have which shows a girl simulating diving. I was doing some research on one with Manikin who is an expert on one in particular who went on to make small 20-30 inch manniquins.

48. swimminghalloffame swimminghalloffame, 10 months ago
    Of course this is speculation. However, Betty Becker never lived in California. She did compete in national championships there in 1923 - but in an era of professional women divers, I would not say she was well known until after the 1924 Olympic Games. She was at the Hall of Fame many times before her death and never once did she mention the hood ornament, which is strange because she did other promotions. We have her scrapbooks and there is nothing in them to indicate she had anything to do with hood ornaments. While my article is not proof - we do have proof that she never lived in California. So, how could she be the "pride of California." This was also a time of very strict amateurism and it would be quite unlikely and improbable that she would have lent her likeness to a commercial product. As for the likeness to Betty Williams - whom we know nothing about other that there was a Betty Williams who was a swimming instructor of note who got married in Seattle in 1924 and in addition to the similarity in hair is the similarity of the "blonde" Betty's bathing shoes. And again, I will say of the hundred or so images we have of Betty Becker Pinkston - in not one is she wearing bathing shoes or boots. After Betty Pinkston retired and turned pro, she did lend her image to a few products, including Fralinger's salt water taffy in Atlantic City. I believe they still use her image on their tins. While the hood ornament may not be Betty Williams, and could be one of Max Sennet's Keystone films bathing beauties (another possibility) I do think it is highly unlikely it is Betty Pinkston. Believe me, as much as I would like it to be her - as we have a great exhibit at the International Swimming Hall of Fame on Betty Pinkston including her gold medals,....We just do not think it is.....
  49. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Unfortunately there were many people these car mascots sometimes represent who were not paid to be a mascots spokesperson or any other commensurate. It was rather very rare for anyone to be paid for if a car mascot was based after them. I cannot bring one name to mind. I am just basing my opinions on what the experts on car mascots think who I admire because they write books on mascots. There is so much known about such things as art deco, there is almost nothing known in all the literature ever written about art deco car mascots, even though the majority of mascots are art deco. Your theory or mine or the other collectors of mascots will probably hold no substance if the collectors die out as they do for a lot of things, as there may be none who really care.
  50. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Same goes for Josephine Baker, there were car mascots based after her wild popularity in France but she surely never entered into any contract licsensing her name for money for car mascots that I ever heard of. And other people never got any money so that theory seems totally out of the equation.
  51. swimminghalloffame swimminghalloffame, 10 months ago
    Except that we are talking about an Amateur athlete. Good discussion - as neither of us can prove a point... other than hardbrakes brunette and this blonde, are you aware of another others that exist?
  52. swimminghalloffame swimminghalloffame, 10 months ago
    Lastly, we at the Hall of Fame would never have known about this object if you and hardbrake had not posted on Collectors Weekly. So - Thank you!
  53. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    No, there are no others really. There are some diving mascots but they have no name and are generic swimmers. Betty was and seems to be the only swimmer mascot with a name. The Betty mascot is very rare. Very few seem to have existed as even 2 big collectors never found one. Of the 3 different authors whose collections I envy, only one seemed to have found Betty.