Old Harley Photo with sign of my Town on it :-)

In Motorcycles > Harley-Davidson Motorcycles > Show & Tell and Signs > Automobile Signs > Show & Tell.
Harley-Davidson Motorcycles20 of 143My first Harley Davidson motorcycleOld Harley Davidson Motorcycle

artdecogirlartdecogirl loves this.
AzTomAzTom loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Manikin

This photo shows a old Harley with a side car at the cross roads of where I live . Date unknown but it is early maybe 1920 's I would think by the road directions and miles to each town On a Goodrich Tire sign . Very cool photo with this great sign also . All the towns I went to dances in and yes a few times on a Harley but a bit newer :-) Then again I am in Harley Town .

Comments

1. AzTom AzTom, 1 year ago
    Great photo. I have never seen a sign like that. Is this Rt 59 and Moorland?
  2. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Great black and white images
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    AzTom I am not exactly sure where it is . Are you from here also ?
    I was thinking maybe by Goerkes Corners ?
  4. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Phil I found it interesting too . A good way to save money by using a sign already up to add mile marker. Thanks for the love xoxo
  5. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Mani,Did you have paved roads?lol
    I have a magazine at home that tells about these signs,I'll have to dig it out.
  6. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Great picture Sis!
    For the miles to work it has to be on Calhoun Road.
  7. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Bro you might be right and that would be close to goerkes corner . How did you figure that out :-) Anyway I wish I could read the sign that gives miles to blurred town . Calhoun Rd would be New Berlin area and the city we can't read looks like a short name , I also wonder if Miles were exact back then or estimates . Good detective work :-)))))))))))
  8. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    LOL Gargoyle no just ole dirt roads for the horses to get down and sleighs in winters :-) This was a huge farm area ,sadly many family farms are gone lost to big business and it was not profitable and many lost their family farms going bankrupt . Thanks for love I always smile when I see you on a post :-)
  9. kerry10456 kerry10456, 1 year ago
    Looks like downtown New Hampton, lol streets still paved with dirt here :-))) Neat photo Mani, thanks for sharing XOXOX
  10. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks Sis.
    I'm not giving up all my secrets! :-))
    The blurred name appears to end in Road I think, so it would be two miles south to " ?????? Road".
  11. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thanks kerry :-)))))) xoxox hope your feeling better !
  12. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Bro Barker Rd seems to fit miles to each city ?
  13. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Barker RD is west of Calhoun RD, it has to be a road that crosses over Calhoun Road (an east-west road).
    We may be looking for a road that doesn't exist anymore, we need a 1920's map.
  14. AzTom AzTom, 1 year ago
    I do not live near here, I googled West Allis and guessed at about half way between Waukesha and WA, the logical road would be RT 59.

I just used the mile tool and Walksoft is correct, Calhoun Rd is right on for the milage. I figure the sign is on the north side of Rt 59 so the blurred sign is pointing south. Indicating 2 mi, that scales out out be Ryerson Road.
    Based on the space of "Road" is looks like it is 6-7 letters so that fits.
    Must have been something good on that road???? Maybe the Harley shop,lol By the shadows it looks late in the day.
  15. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Gee you guys a thousand miles away can read sign better than me :-) Now many strret names have changed and roads are gone that were there . Harley was in Milwaukee and still is . Thanks for all the help ! :-)
  16. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    I think I see what they are looking at . On bottom left corner I see what appears to be a cross . Maybe the site of a accident ? and paying respects ?
  17. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Good Eye Sis, I was so busy looking at the sign that I didn't bother to consider what they were looking at.
  18. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Oh Bro on sign and AZ we should be looking for a city not a road don't you think ? Why would it say 2 mi to a road it has to be a town or city ? Thanks guys :-))))))
  19. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    A road would be correct if that road then takes you to a town, or possibly something on that road such as the Harley Dealership or even the intersection/crossroads itself.
  20. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Or a Motel or gas station ?
  21. Belltown Belltown, 1 year ago
    Nice sign; my wife was born in West Allis. ;-)
  22. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thanks Belltown :-) she might enjoy seeing this . Thanks for stopping and great comment !
  23. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Roy ,Foundaroundtown ,Phil,aztom,bro,bratjdd,official,rocker,kerry,lisa , and geo ! Many many thanks for stopping :-)
  24. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you egreeley1976 ! I appreciate you stopping and putting a love on this post :-)
  25. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    Thankyou Manikin for showing some of our Wisconsin History! I love this ! as you Manikin I was born in Milwaukee! :) and was adopted :)!
  26. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Your welcome Sean buddy ! we have to stick together here :-) we had first snow today :-( I dread winter . Stay warm and watch for a green pickup parked in front of your favorite thrift shop while I grab all the great finds there :-)) xo
  27. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    Hello Manikin , yes do have to stick together! no snow up here yet! im as well dreading winter :( , ill be watching for you pick up truck:)!! you to stay warm as well:)
  28. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you ttomtucker ! Much appreciated :-)
  29. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Moon :-))) Much appreciated
  30. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you toolate :-))))) Much appreciated !
  31. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you rniederman and pops ! I appreciate you stopping and putting a love on this post :-)
  32. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you petey !!!!!!!!!! and thanks for sharing you vast collection with us !
  33. MattyG MattyG, 1 year ago
    Cool photo Mani, I never really appreciated the old photographs until I joined this site. I should kick myself for all the boxes of black & whites I have thrown away or tossed to the side in clean-outs and dumpster dives over the years. Sorry I have been absent but finally back to work for 16 weeks now and overtime 6 days a week, feast or famine I guess the recession is finally over for us construction workers : )
  34. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you MattyG. I am glad for a family that kept old photo's and passed them on to me before they passed . Good to hear construction is going again ! and just when I need some everyone is working :-) re doing a cottage I just bought for son and of coarse everything that could go wrong has . Stop back when you have another day off :-)
  35. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you thrifty ! I have missed seeing you . Hope all is good by you ! Many thanks for the love on this post :-)
  36. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you czechman and prairiedweller ! I appreciate you stopping and giving this post a love :-))))))))
  37. Militarist Militarist, 1 year ago
    Neat sign. My bet would be that the sign is in Hales Corners.
  38. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Militarist, you could be right on that ! Glad to see you on this post and adding to help ID location ! many thanks :-)
  39. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you prairiedweller and ameyrd ! I appreciate you all stopping :-)