My Dads Badges from 1950's from Convair Aircraft from 1950's

In Medals Pins and Badges > Show & Tell and Military and Wartime > Show & Tell.
Medals Pins and Badges143 of 426Drawing signed vandykeMy childhood Deputy Sheriff badge

packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
filmnetfilmnet loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
JonoJono loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.

Posted 8 months ago

Manikin

My Dad worked here from 1950 on .I did cover his last name. I wish I had the airplane Model they gave him when he left to work at Missles site in TX . The Photo is like airplane model that was damaged and broke when mailed to me after his death :-(
I still have his work badges and as you see it changed names . I believe it says lockheed on back of badges hard to read .
He was also a pilot . These badges are larger than a silver dollar and heavy . I have kept them for I have few things from him . These his training flight book a few watches .

Convair was an American aircraft manufacturing company which later expanded into rockets and spacecraft. The company was formed in 1943 by the merger of Vultee Aircraft and Consolidated Aircraft, and went on to produce a number of pioneering aircraft, such as the Convair B-36 bomber, and the F-102 Delta Dagger and F-106 Delta Dart. It also manufactured the first Atlas rockets, including the rockets that were used for the pioneering manned orbital flights of Project Mercury. The company's subsequent Atlas-Centaur design continued this success and derivatives of the design remain in use as of 2010. In 1994 most of the company's divisions were sold by then-owners General Dynamics to McDonnell Douglas and Lockheed, with the remaining components deactivated in 1996.
In March 1953, all of the Convair company was bought by the General Dynamics Corporation, a conglomerate of military and high-technology companies, and it became officially the Convair Division within General Dynamics.[2]

After the beginning of the Jet Age of military fighters and bombers, Convair was a pioneer of the delta-winged aircraft design, along with the French Dassault aircraft company, which designed and built the Mirage fighter planes.

One of Convair's most famous products was the 10-engined Convair B-36 strategic bomber, burning four turbojets and turning six pusher propellers driven by Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major radial piston engines. The Convair B-36 was the largest landbased piston engined bomber in the world. The Atlas missile, the F-102 Delta Dagger and F-106 Delta Dart delta-winged interceptors, and the delta-winged B-58 Hustler supersonic intercontinental nuclear bomber were all Convair products. For a period of time in the 1960s, Convair manufactured its own line of jet commercial airliners, the Convair 880 and Convair 990, but this did not turn out to be a profitable business. However, Convair found that it was profitable to become an aviation subcontractor and to manufacture large subsections of airliners, such as fuselages for the larger airliner companies, McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, and Lockheed. The Convair Division produced its own airplane designs, such as several airliners, until 1965, when it shifted from these to airframe/aerostructure subcontracting projects for other companies.

Comments

1. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
    These are great Sis, to bad the model got broken in shipping.
    The badges are a precious memory of your father.
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
    So the model was of the F-106 Delta Dart?
    How big was it?
  3. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Hi Bro as I remember it it was shaped like the one posted. I threw it away 20 years ago I was so upset . He always had it on his dresser ,everytime we moved he but it by him . It was a needle nose I always thought he name of it was the "Convair " So the photo might not be exact . xoxo
  4. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Yes this was one but it did not have a states name on it .
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
  6. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Good eye Bro , his was not wood but heavy plastic exact replica I believe it was made at Convair for a award . But it sat on stand like that in take off position . The stand was gray metal .
  7. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
  8. SEAN68 SEAN68, 8 months ago
    very very nice Manikin !!!
  9. EJW-54 EJW-54, 8 months ago
    These are really cool Manikin, what a cool job your Dad had!
  10. kerry10456 kerry10456, 8 months ago
    Morning Good looking. You watch is done and in the mail. XOXOX
  11. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 8 months ago
    I wonder if I have the airplane. I still have all my airplane models, I particularly love the F105 Thunderchief "Thud" and have the Convair B-36. The Thunderchief was made in Holland by Verkuyl which commands the most money. Also have most of the Allyn models which were the Holy Grail of collectible metal models. The Allyn ones are my favourites and were given to the pilots and also presented to president Eisenhower, although he may have got the smaller ones. I know there is a picture which I have somewhere of him being presented with the models. Both the desk metal models and metal desk airplane ashtrays were presented to the pilots, where I have some dedicated models presented to some of the hero's and they also sold some to the public. At the time in the 40's to 60's they made the best ones in the world in Los Angeles, California, by Allyn Sales Co., which to this day are so beautiful !~
    Maybe check out this ebay website first - I know the author pf the real site which this info is somehow transferred to (just scroll down for the pics) :

Also here is the Allyn B-36 : I also have the B-52 etc. (Scroll down for ashtray model) :

12. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Thank you EJW and Sean ! Much appreciated :-)
  13. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Thank Kerry my guy with a ponytail as long as mine :-) I will watch for it in mail . PS you did add diamonds to it too right LOL . Many many Thanks xoxox
  14. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 8 months ago
    lol ......on the diamonds ...u are so quick ..watch her Kerry..
  15. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Hi Phil wow thanks for sharing all the info ! My problem is my memory of it I know it was all gray and had USA on it but rest is foggy to me . I sure wish I had kept it broke now . At the time I was not thinking clear and never considered it being repaired . It was very heavy base because it did not ever tip over to well balanced in flight position . Thank you for the love on this post and all the links :-) xoxoxo
  16. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Roy I think Kerry is avoiding the diamond question LOL
  17. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Thank you vansky, kerry,pops,agh,official,pw-collector,mikelv,geo,vetraio50,Foundaroundtown and mrmaj ! I appreciate the love ! many many thanks :-))))))
  18. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Thank you ttom and tom61 ! Many thanks :- ))
  19. Manikin Manikin, 8 months ago
    Thank you thrifty ! TG I missed you and always apptreciate seeing you on a post :-)) many thanks and a good friend on CW
  20. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 8 months ago
    Thank you Manikin for the kind comments. I always look forward to your postings, and getting to "holla" at you! I've been having to do alot of traveling lately and have not had much free time. I have some new items to post, and I look forward to sharing them with my freinds here on CW. You are a "great" friend here, and I always enjoy your comments, and getting to "talk" with you. Hope you have a great weekend. It has turned cold here overnight, and I am hoping we don't get any of this ice storm heading our way. Take care friend, and I will talk to you later. Thrifty
  21. Manikin Manikin, 7 months ago
    Thank you ttom and tom61 much appreciated and Thrifty for wonderful comment :-)
  22. Manikin Manikin, 7 months ago
    Thank you pack :-) so glad to see . Hope you have a Great New Year :-)