Antique Cast Iron A. Stolze Mercantil Co. Bronze Horse HELP? Val97 XO

In Animals > Horses > Show & Tell.
Horses55 of 216Not what I thought it was...Winter work 1947

vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
pops52pops52 loves this.

Posted 8 months ago

Moonstonel…

This is a neat Antique cast iron horse that I know nothing about. I acquired this at the Long Beach Antique Show when I went with Valentino97 from CW! She and I found this beauty and a choice of one or the other...we both picked this one out. If anyone knows anything about this ...horse :))

Comments

1. valentino97 valentino97, 8 months ago
    It was your first purchase and we lugged it around thru the heat the rest of the day without a complaint either. XO
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
    Found this:
  3. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 8 months ago
    Val, I will never do that to us again!!! So sorry :( I will get us a cart to push next time!!! PROMISE! XO
  4. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 8 months ago
    David, many thanks for the information!!! XO
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
    I wasn't positive it was the correct info or not as I didn't know if your horse is a bank or not & the link didn't even have a picture of the rearing horse. So I thought I would leave it in your hands to make the call.
  6. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 8 months ago
    David, it looks old...and I am not sure it was ever a bank....it does not look like it was ever part of a bank.....but at least it was something to go on :)))
  7. AzTom AzTom, 8 months ago
    1960's is old if you are in your 20's lol. The coin slot should be on top at the bottom of the neck.
    These were originally made by AC Williams around 1910. The cast iron would be quite smooth.
    Besides the one you have, these have been reproduced many times by companies like John Wright, Iron Art and some that just had stickers, Made in Taiwan. The casting is rough on these.

That said, they are neat display items, just no antique value.
  8. walksoftly walksoftly, 8 months ago
    What caught my eye right away was the texture as Az said, also the lack of detail on the horse.
    We often buy what appeals to us, if you liked it enough to lug it around LB all day, then it was a good purchase.
  9. valentino97 valentino97, 8 months ago
    It's a dark bronze color - not goldy. The price was right too. We all know that if you see something and it's right $$ then you buy it right away - agreed.