Art Deco statue on marble base "PIERRETTE" J.B. Hirsch’s son

In Art Deco > Art Deco Bronze > Show & Tell and Figurines > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Bronze36 of 1281930's French Bronze Lady with Greyhounds on Marble.Contemplar or Gerdago Girl Bookends by H. Fugere

VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
czechmanczechman loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 7 months ago

smiata

Out for a weekend browsing local shops, I ran across this statue. I really liked her and the price was right........and woolah. She is now mine which is proudly displayed on the mantel. I tried to find something about her, but no information came up so far. Sooo, if anyone knows who made this or any other information I would love to hear from you. Thanks to PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, I now know what I have. Since his description I have gone on line and started to read up on the company. I found the information quite informative. Thank you PDAM.

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 7 months ago
    Phil Morris will be able to tell you all about her when he logs on . What a fantastic find . Since some of these were produced more recently he can tell you more about her .
  2. czechman czechman, 7 months ago
    Fabulous!
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    As I have been posting these type of pieces by the Hirsch foundry for the last couple months I am surprised you have not seen this info on my posts. This info was posted also with a photo of your exact piece. Unfortunately I see someone has lopped off your piece's hand in the process. Too bad. Fortunately you can buy a box of barbies at a garage sale to find a pair of hands which should fit fine.

In 1948, J.B. Hirsch’s son, Abraham, heard of the hidden molds existence, and planned “archaeological expeditions” to France to search for the buried mold fragments. Between 1948 and 1963 Abraham Hirsch was able to piece together over 200 objects and acquire the molds from 15 “French Bronze” foundries. Abraham’s son, Stanley was put in charge of reassembling exhumed molds that arrived in pieces. After attending a symposium on the Beaux Arts by the NY Metropolitan Museum of Arts, Stanley Hirsch discovered he was in possession of the original molds from which the displayed pieces were cast. Putting together the puzzle of scrambled parts is still an ongoing process. (The Hirsch foundry is now closed for years. It seems with little info on them on the internet, so they are not putting together pieces. The last it operated was from the 70's to 80's of which time period fits your statuette.

Today, JB Hirsch bookends -- romantic, elaborate, and elegantly designed -- are the most sought after of all bookend manufacturers. They are usually figural pieces cast in pure spelter (“French bronze”) and usually reflect the chryselephantine movement, displaying ivorine (celluloid or plastic) faces, hands and other parts. In some cases, the parts are painted to resemble ivorine.

A lot of this info was also in The Encyclopedia of Bronzes 1800-1930 starting on page 1173, as I have been posting. Also see the pieces of rlwindle who posts pieces such as these PIERRETTE in bookends. There were about 3 poses for this girl, your piece being the only standing piece.
    Here is some info online but it is an ebay sell so the info has not been checked by me and is by worthopedia which posts much of the false info online :
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    From reassembling the jigsaw puzzle of scrambled parts for over 200 subjects, the Hirsch Foundry put together The Collection Francaise which was exhibited at the Paris Lighting Exhibition in January 1981. This figurine was part of the collection. Spelter with painted face, on marble base. Measures 6” high. Foundry stamp says: “Collection Francaise, Made in USA”.
  5. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    On this piece they usually glued the round bronze foundry stamp to the back of the marble. The collection Francaise. There would have been one on yours too at the back.
  6. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, you are correct in the statement about your past postings. Now that you mention it, I have seen some of yours which I admired greatly. That's probably why this piece caught my eye. Love the fact that you gave me so much information!!! I did notice the piece had no hands. I will try to find something to replace them. As for the "Collection Francaise" I do not see anything of that sort anywhere on the piece. She is so elegant, I love it. Thank you again for your expertise.
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    Your piece is listed here on page 1173. #4688 on right hand side, 3rd photo. Phil.
  8. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    Thank you for the love Moonstonelover21, and Manikin.
  9. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    Thank you czechman and vetraio50 for the loves.
  10. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    Thank you SEAN68, kerry10456.
  11. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    your very welcome smiata !!
  12. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    I found my statue without hands and someone suggested I find some doll hands, after I had attached them no one could tell that they were ones I added on. I found a garage sale a few blocks from my home and bought one doll and the fit was perfect.
  13. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    I found this interesting and thought you Would too- it has your figure on it : Vintage Vanity Top Mirror Art Deco Brass Bronze with New Fashion Lady 9 5 "| eBay

14. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    I did find that link for the mirror interesting. They would have made a great pair. Your a wonderful book of knowledge PhilDavidAlexanderMorris. Thanks for all you have offered as far as information. Much appreciated.
  15. bratjdd bratjdd, 7 months ago
    I would love to have not found one Like this or similar to it :( I am always keeping my eyes open when I go to Estate Sale but no luck.I would Like to start a collection. Since Phil started that addiction for me Lol! and you are not helping either. Thanks for sharing it always brings a big smile on my face. Maybe one day! :)
    She is amazing!!!
  16. smiata smiata, 7 months ago
    Oh bratjdd.....we all have a sickness that cannot be cured. Addiction, sickness, obsession. Only to name a few adjectives to describe what we do. My hope is that one day all of this will pay off. ( I just am not sure whether I can part with any). It's never going to "pay off" if I never put any up for sale. Oh....the dilemma!!!!!