Bowl by S. Reich & co. Czech c.1930/40s. Figure unknown

In Figurines > Show & Tell and Glassware > Show & Tell.
Figurines399 of 8451956 Boxing Kangaroo Mans dresser organizer  featured in "Pulp Fiction" movieTurquoise 6" Chinese Female Foo Dog Figure / Unknown Age

pickrknowspickrknows loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 6 months ago

Vintagefran

Hi all,
Small bon bon dish, approx 7"-8" diameter.
The glass is thick and silky, colour best described as smoky with a hue of plum. Nuked? Sun damage? Or always been like this?
It has a very faint green glow, seen best on the edges of the design, under a UV torch.
The base is aluminium & the stylised diving figure (i think) steel, makes the handle.

See links below for the bowl & examples of figures very like this.
Thanks to everyone who's helped to ID it.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. AmberRose AmberRose, 6 months ago
    Happy Birthday!!
  2. Aimathena, 6 months ago
    Now this reminds me of something Phil would post.
  3. kerry10456 kerry10456, 6 months ago
    Happy B-Day
  4. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thank you AR but its not until Saturday, lol. Aim, i thought of Phil when i got this:)
  5. Aimathena, 6 months ago
    Happy Birthday... in advance :)
  6. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thanks for the loves & birthday wishes. Your all so kind:)
  7. walksoftly walksoftly, 6 months ago
    You're so lucky to receive such nice gifts for/from yourself for your birthday!
  8. Aimathena, 6 months ago
    LoL WS. It's one of those, thank you... self things.
  9. SEAN68 SEAN68, 6 months ago
    happy birthday!!!
  10. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 6 months ago
    This is gorgeous and Happy Birthday...
  11. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thanks everyone. This was a totally selfish Me buy:)
  12. Aimathena, 6 months ago
    VF, you sound like such a great mom. You deserve to treat yourself, especially for your birthday.
  13. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Aim you say the nicest things.
  14. Manikin Manikin, 6 months ago
    A gorgeous piece I love it ! Happy Birthday too :-)
  15. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thank you manikin, i don't think I've ever had so many birthday wishes :)
    I'll get some more photos at some point, these are the sellers, her arms and legs are all one & looks as good from the front and back:)
  16. Aimathena, 6 months ago
    Make sure you fill it with birthday confectionaries :)
  17. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Great idea Aim. Atm its safely in the cabinet but would love to use it:)
  18. inky inky, 6 months ago
    Vintagefran..didn't want to miss wishing you happy birthday for the weekend just in case I don't manage to get on again for a while...:-)

Love the bowl...:-)
  19. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thanks Inky. I've been using my birthday to justify myself buying pressys, Think i have enough self bought ones now:)
    Thanks for the love, and to everyone who's loved
  20. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 6 months ago
    Thanks for the loves everyone. Sorry far too many to list individually but its very nice to know its liked as much as i like it:)
  21. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 5 months ago
    Its almost as if someone adapted this or tried to - my first thought would have been a glass bowl that covered a ceiling light with the tin underneath it. Too bad for the chip but someone may have tried to tighten it too much at one time. Kind of like an older Verlys bowl. The exact diving figure I do not recognize but it is a very nice one.
  22. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Thanks for taking a look Phil. I hadn't considered they might not have started life together, i wonder. The bottom being tin was unexpected. I guess the crack could've been caused by a number of things. I don't know Verlys but I'll have a look at them:) I like the look of the figure here too, she's quite 'beefy', guess she'd have to be fit to be a diver, she's nicely angular in that Art Deco way & i like how one legs slightly above the other:)
  23. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 months ago
    I see you found the one dish that I was referring to, no lady, but with a metal base.

24. smiata smiata, 5 months ago
    Very nice, love it!! Great find.
  25. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Thank you Simiata:) Phil i think you were right, while taking some photos i found she's loose and needed screwing down, i bet she was over tightened.
  26. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Simiata, it wasn't so much a find as a pressy to myself:)
  27. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    I'm curious about the glass here. Does anyone know if it would be described as amethyst glass? Though doesn't look quite purple enough to me. I can best describe the colour as a smoky purple. Its also quite thick, i can't feel the crack at all, its as if its 'in' the glass. It also has a very smooth silky finish. Presumably its been moulded, it has 3 seams, but the design is very nicely defined for a moulded piece.
  28. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 months ago
    ?????? Might the Glass be *SUN PURPLED* Glass....just throwing that out there as a thought (??) ;

29. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Hi antiquerose:) I hadn't considered that. If it is, would that have likely been done deliberately by the maker or by some unscrupulous dealer? Though why anyone would want to alter it, i don't know.
    I've not seen sun purpled so have nothing to compare it to. This has a pink tinge at the bottom that i suspect is sun damage.
  30. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Hi antiquerose. I've been reading up on sun purpling, a deplorable practice if done deliberately IMHO. This does look a similar colour to those. If its not deliberate, do you think it could get this colour by sitting in the sun for most its life? It has a faint green glow under UV which may suggest high manganese content. I'd hate to think its been deliberately altered.
  31. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 months ago
    Hi there....Does always happen deliberately. Can just happen in the house if the sun keeps hitting it every day for long periods. Hard to say. I will look around to see what I can find. Could be a marriage of piece.....or not, and true to form. Hunting around will see....Have Great weekend!!
  32. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Thanks antiquerose. You too:)
  33. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Thanks for the suggestion antiquerose. I was surprised this has a slight green tinge under UV, i hadn't thought to try it. Also it rings when tapped rather than clunks, which was also a surprise. Full of surprises this one!
  34. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Does anyone else think the base here is aluminium? Its very light weight & un corroded. At first i thought it was tin but I'm now doubting that assumption.
  35. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 months ago
    Have you tried a magnet on it?
  36. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Hi WS, no i hadn't. It hadn't even occurred to me, lol. Thx. Its aluminium:)
  37. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    I've noticed a tiny etched or moulded '0' on the base of the glass. Does anyone recognise it? Thank you
  38. icollectglass, 5 months ago
    Swans and reeds ???
  39. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Hi Icollect, yes i think it is reeds & leaves:) you don't recognise the 'o' by any chance do you?
  40. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Hi Icollect & any glass lovers out there. Would you say the pattern here has been pressed, or could it be cut into a plain moulded bowl. Only it has seams but the pattern is very sharp in places? I've tried to include a better photo of the outside. Thanks for Any help:)
  41. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 4 months ago
    Someone's found this:)
    Czech again.
    I'm still not sure if its always had the diver or been converted as Phil suggested.
  42. antiquerose antiquerose, 4 months ago
    @ Vintagefran - Hi, I would say that the person that said it was REICH is a highly knowledgeable person. She does research on pressed glass and that is from her site site she has done many years of research on.

(((( I'm over at the other too .....LOL ))))
  43. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 4 months ago
    Hi Antiquerose, so is it you i have to thank?
    Whoever this woman is she's very knowledgable:)
    Its fantastic its been recognised. I learnt recently that aluminium used to be expensive, which may have made this a pricy item in its day. The jury's still out on whether its is from the 30s or 40s & if the colour is deliberate.
  44. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 3 months ago
    This these figures look so alike, i would say they're designed by the same hand. Would love others opinions.