St Paul Mecca July 1908 Pin

In Medals Pins and Badges > Show & Tell and Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Medals Pins and Badges154 of 480Conflict of Interest ?Vintage Commemorative Patriotic pin celluloid? plastic?

JewelsJewels loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
lisalisa loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

stwillia76

I do not know what this is. I have done a lot of research and I am absolutely stumped. At first I thought it was Masonic. This is what a friend wrote: "The effigy is of Cleopatra. July 1908 St.Pauls.....well, the MECCA part has me slightly confused,but I think it was a pendant made in London based. The stamp on the back, the date and markings (Aside from MECCA) point to either the Lambeth Conference at St.Pauls in London or the Olympics, hosted in London at the same time.....The only downside is I think there would be NO WAY a Catholic order, attending a Catholic conference, would have a pin that contains Muslim inferences."

So what in the world is it? Will it stump all here, lol?

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 9 months ago
    Shriners Convention in St Paul July 14 and 15 1908.

The Mecca Lodge was from New York.

2. stwillia76 stwillia76, 9 months ago
    Thanks. I was aware of this event but I have seen other pins from this event. None have a Cleopatra emblem. I am still not sure if it is a Shriner, yet.
  3. stwillia76 stwillia76, 9 months ago
    July 1908 was the Arab Revolt or The Young Turks movement. Also there was the London Olympics> Could it have been a pin from the movement?
  4. stwillia76 stwillia76, 9 months ago
    You are probably right. Mecca Shriners of New York. But I can't find anything anywhere about this pin. Surely there is some reference or photo to back it up.
  5. DrFluffy DrFluffy, 9 months ago
    Not sure what it is, but I LOVE IT....
  6. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 9 months ago
    The Mecca building in NYC is one huge piece of Egyptomania. The pin is beautiful.
  7. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 9 months ago
    Its lovely stw. Is it from 1908? I do love the whole Egyptomania (as Phil put it) i love Art Decos love affair with anything Egyptian.
  8. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 4 months ago