Argentine Gaucho by C.A. Salvay, 1967

In Folk Art > Wooden Folk Art Objects > Show & Tell.
Wooden Folk Art Objects64 of 418Whimsey in a Bottle Carvings of Master Whittler Daniel Rose RPPC SetAmazon Indian Wood Totem

southcopsouthcop loves this.
VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
geo26egeo26e loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
Vintage-van-GoghVintage-van-Gogh loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 likes this.

Posted 7 months ago

jwendell222

Large carved portrait of an Argentine gaucho, the equivalent of an American cowboy. Done in a dense dark wood, retaining much of the solid golden bark. It’s dated 1967 and signed by C.A. Salvay, of whom I have no biographical data at all. Extensive internet searches turned up four others, three of which are about a third the size of this one (11” tall x 7 1.2” diameter, 12 pounds). They were dated from 1966 to 1975, two are in Spanish, one in French, all with no biographical detail. If you recognize the wood or can fill in anything about Salvay, I'd really like to hear from you. Thanks, Jim

Comments

1. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 months ago
    I remember gaucho marks from TV back in the 50's........sorry I couldn't resist. That is a pretty open grained wood and I'm at a loss to identify it because it looks to have been stained. Most hardwoods from that area are pretty close grain and suitable for carving. Perhaps the artist is the answer. I tend to like this very much. Maybe I can find something online or with a friend about this Salvay person.
  2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 months ago
    That wasn't terribly difficult. I Googled for "wood carver c.a. salvay" and got all kinds of hits and images. It appears all his/her carvings are bark back and only carved on the front. There are several listed on eBay for around $75 but no offers. There is also one on worthpoint which is smaller and others on odd sites I didn't click on. It would seem there are others out there. No indication of the wood used but I hope to find that out, I love wood.
  3. jwendell222, 7 months ago
    Vintage-van-Gogh and aghcollect, thanks for the love and best wishes, Jim
  4. jwendell222, 7 months ago
    Hi fhrjr2, thank you for your input. I guess my photos don't properly portray the wood. This is an extremely close grained dense hardwood, no pores, almost on the order of ebony or zitan. There are no annual rings visible on the unfinished base.
    Thanks again and best regards, Jim
  5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 months ago
    Obviously my error, I am new to wood so forgive me.
  6. dylanaguirre, 4 months ago
    hi am dylan aguirre from Argentina and I have an Argentine gaucho a.c. Salvay
    equal to the photo
  7. jwendell222, 4 months ago
    Hi Dylan, Thank you for posting the comment. Can you tell me about your carving? Where it came from, same date as mine? How long have you had it?Do you know anything about Salvay? There is not much online that I can find about him. Hope to hear from you again. Best wishes, Jim
  8. dylanaguirre, 4 months ago
    I will send photos by outlook
    it measures 26cm high and 61 in diameter
    this work was found in San francisco solano. Buenos Aires. Argentina
    This work was purchased by my father and grandfather. Still could not find the artist biographical materials.
      but we are in that search.
    atentamente.dylan.