Child size Little Lulu Vinyl Purse dated 1944

In Comic Books > Show & Tell and Toys > Show & Tell.
Comic Books12 of 311Moon Capers underground poster1966 O-Pee-Chee Batman Cards. All three sets!

peteypetey loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

Manikin

Child size Little Lulu Vinyl Purse dated 1944 by Margi'
"Little" Lulu Moppet: Lulu is the title character and is often the ringleader of the girls. As such, she is the leader of their less formal club. Her best friend is Annie Inch. Lulu is a kind and sincere little girl who, though prone to mischief, usually ends up saving the day.
Little Lulu is the nickname for Lulu Moppett, a comic strip character created in the mid-1930s by Marjorie Henderson Buell. The character debuted in The Saturday Evening Post on 23 February 1935 in a single panel, appearing as a flower girl at a wedding and strewing the aisle with banana peels. Little Lulu replaced Carl Anderson's Henry, which had been picked up for distribution by King Features Syndicate. The Little Lulu panel continued to run weekly in The Saturday Evening Post until 30 December 1944.

Little Lulu was created as a result of Anderson's success. Schlesinger Library curator Kathryn Allamong Jacob wrote:

Lulu was born in 1935, when The Saturday Evening Post asked Buell to create a successor to the magazine’s Henry, Carl Anderson’s stout, mute little boy, who was moving on to national syndication. The result was Little Lulu, the resourceful, equally silent (at first) little girl whose loopy curls were reminiscent of the artist’s own as a girl. Buell explained to a reporter, "I wanted a girl because a girl could get away with more fresh stunts that in a small boy would seem boorish".

A daily comic strip, entitled Little Lulu, was syndicated from 5 June 1950 through May 1969. Artists included Woody Kimbrell (1950–1964), Roger Armstrong (1964–1966), and Ed Nofziger (1966–1969).

Little Lulu appeared in ten issues of Dell Comics' Four Color comic book series (#74, 97, 110, 115, 120, 131, 139, 146, 158, 165),

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank you Leah ! I am always delighted to see on a post and apprciate your kind comment :-)
  2. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 4 months ago
    Little Lulu and Henry made living in a small town seem exciting to kids. I loved reading the comics and sometime wonder how I got so many of them in my comic collection as a kid. The purse is wonderful to bring those memories back to life.
  3. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank you Phil and Leah I agree someone took good care of it . She must have loved it too :-)
  4. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank you all ! Much appreciated :-)))
    vanskyock24
    tom61375
    vetraio50
    LeahGoodwin
    VioletOrange
    geo26e
    DrFluffy
    aghcollect
    nutsabotas6
    Moonstonelover21
  5. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank you all very much !
    pops52
    inky
    Aimathena
    crazycharacter
    mikelv85
    Phil
    officialfuel
    SEAN68 .
    Vintagefran
    I appreciate you all for stopping at my post :-)
  6. Zowie Zowie, 4 months ago
    I loved the information & the feeling I got seeing the little purse it gave me that real little girlie feel & I haven't had that in a long time thank you for all the knowledge
  7. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Thank you Zowie glad it gave you good memories :-) xoxo
  8. Zowie Zowie, 4 months ago
    We all enjoy having that little bit of kid in us why age any older than we have to
  9. Manikin Manikin, 4 months ago
    Zowie yes we all still have that kid in us :-))))
  10. Zowie Zowie, 4 months ago
    Wouldn't we be crappy without it. I love seeing it in our really tough & so called hard men. A few years ago most of us adults got out & was playing marbles having a ball & one person almost spoiled it for us all thought he was just a bit to hob nob to do such a thing.
  11. Virginia.vintage Virginia.vintage, 3 months ago
    I love this purse so sweet! and I love the great comment about it, is an extra item so much appreciated!
    Thanks so much Manikin for share it with us :)
  12. Manikin Manikin, 3 months ago
    Thank you Virginia.vintage! Your book and my purse make for a good day with Little Lulu today :-) xoxo