ZARA ELLWOOD Painting

All items92336 of 102738Cool Mid Am Dairy Farm Agricultural Signawesome lamp

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

ChickPicker

Hello,
I have a painting that my Great Aunt bought in the late 1930's in Greenwich village, in New York City and has been in my family ever since. I believe the artists real name is Sarah Ellwood, She was a 20th century artist who signed her pieces Zara Ellwood. I'm trying to find out the value of her work or any other info on this artist

Comments

1. Dizzydave Dizzydave, 3 years ago
    Zara was a Early 20th century artist out of Greenwich Village NYC around the 30's-40's. People in the Village would say she was quite a drinker in the day and somewhat flambouyant. Prices are all over, I see some go for 50.00 up to 500.00. I would say yours would be somewere in the middle. Dave
  2. ChickPicker ChickPicker, 3 years ago
    where do you see her stuff being sold?
  3. Dizzydave Dizzydave, 3 years ago
    Seen one on eBay & some others on Liveauctioneers. Heres a few links. Dave
    49.99
    Sold for 85.00

I seen one with exotic birds go for 400.00
    Dave
  4. Dizzydave Dizzydave, 3 years ago
    Sorry second one should be this link:
  5. ChickPicker ChickPicker, 3 years ago
    yes i saw that one...a listing from 2008
  6. jef, 3 years ago
    Recently i purchased a large Zara Ellwood water color at a long island tag sale for $8, but it needs a bit of restoration. like the painting here, it has a mermaid-like gold colored woman in front of a floral arrangement.
  7. Donna, 3 years ago
    I have a framed painting of Zara Ellwood's work. It is a floral watercolor with a beautiful mahogony frame. It belonged to my mother. I took it to an art dealer. He took the bacing off the picture and told me it was an orginal. I want to keep it because it is an orginal, but am not super fond of the painting. I love the Frame. I wish I could find someone to give me some guidence as to what to do with this painting.
  8. anic6000, 3 years ago
    Zara Ellwood Wild Roses in vase with several birds (swallowtail type hummingbirds) alighted upon rose branches, there is also additional circular bowel with floral (orchids) gracefully spilling out from this circular type bowel..(I can best decribe this as ..looks like a BedPan to me) ....A figurine all in white (holding flower bouquet) appears to be added as an afterthought (her facial features look slightly asian) since this figure is not in proportion to the actual vase of Wild Rose's on the table. (she looks like she's wearing a bridal gown). The signiture on this painting is an exact match as per the above signed painting I just saw on this site which prompted my response. also please note this painting has been in my family home since at least 1931 an perhaps several years earlier. I also know our family home was built in 1922 an my grandfather worked for the Pullman Company from 1910 to 1950 as a Porter. The Pullman Co. had a contract with the PA Road that ran from NY to Wilkes Barr, PA leaving from NY ....This is how my family acquired this painting.