1923 book bank?

In Coin Operated > Still Banks > Show & Tell.
Still Banks147 of 167billups coin bankchicken anybody

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
lovevintagelovevintage loves this.
tikiraytikiray loves this.
ttomtuckerttomtucker likes this.

Toyman

This is a very neat advertising bank book that says deseret federal savings associan salt lake city.Also says BOOK OF THIRFT Safty of your investment to 5000 dollars.It has a old plane and old ship on back of bank book.It also says bankers utilities co san fracisco 1923. If anyone knows any info please share? thanks

Comments

1. Toyman Toyman, 4 years ago
    Thanks tkiray And ttom tucker.Do you have any info on this bank please say.Thanks again
  2. Unamariah, 3 years ago
    I have one, but I can't find anything on how much it's worth. Mine doesn't have a key. Any information on it's possible worth would be welcome.
  3. Steve Gillespie, 3 years ago
    I need a key for my bank. Where can I find one?
  4. Reginald, 3 years ago
    I have one as well, and it also doesn't have a key, and has coins inside. The only difference in the one pictured and the one I have is the front of mine reads
    Wells Fargo Bank
    and
    Union Trust Co. Has a picture of someone riding a horse. Also "Since 1852" at the bottom. Any info on where to get a key and the value of this item is appreciated. thanks Reginald
  5. Cyrus, 3 years ago
    you need to take the book to the bank. They were the only ones that had the key. Smart way to get people to bring money into the bank in those days....
  6. sak9941, 3 years ago
    I currently have one of these I plan on selling just don't know for how much yet. It says "Talman Federal Savings and Loan Association, 2641 W 51st Street Chicago, Illinois" and I do have a key. It seems in good condition. Spot on the back though where there was scotch tape.
  7. mooseamae, 2 years ago
    8/29/12 I have one. Same on back, front has "The Oldest Bank in Rockford" The Third National Bank founded in 1854, Rockford, Illinois. Do not have a key. Need to know value of it.
  8. dansbug, 2 years ago
    I have 7 of these little book banks. Two from one bank and 5 from another bank. All six open with the same key. All are from Bankers Utilities Co. from San Fransisco, Ca. My local locksmith made a key for me!!
  9. Pastelptgs, 2 years ago
    Dansbug, is there any chance you could email me a picture of the key? Our locksmith was here and could not open the bank. If I had something to show him that would be great. My bank says New Bedford Five Cents Savings Bank on the book cover.
  10. dansbug, 2 years ago
    Pastelptgs - can do but I'm not sure how to find your email?
  11. Pastelptgs, 2 years ago
    dansbug, Thanks, my email is dwketch@verizon.net. I appreciate this very much.
  12. sonorasandy, 11 months ago
    Book and Add-O-Banks from Bankers Utilities Co. of San Francisco were manufactured by my grandfather and his brothers from 1923 - ca. 1960 (when the company continued under other owners). The leather bound book banks will carry a 1923 patent date (for the mechanism and steel part) but were manufactured with the 1923 date for decades. The handsome example above was designed by my aunt Frances Greer in the mid 1930's showing representations for savings goals of a house, education (the columns), & travel. Add-O banks had handles to total the deposits within. During WWII they added to (I think it was...) $18.50 or $18.75, the cost of a $25 war bond. The company made many styles of banks including treasure chests & banks for insurance companies with wheels to compare coverage and cost. Although many book banks for sale seem to claim 1923 manufacture, that's incorrect except for the earliest book banks, all of which are fairly plain covered. A very early model is a plan Book of Thrift either in black or brown without embossed ornamentation. I'll try to get around to posting some pictures of their more unusual models. My own favorite is the finished sample bank designed by my aunt for the 1939 fair in San Francisco....it is ivory colored with an image of Treasure Island and the fair panorama, a map of San Francisco, etc. and was issued the year before the fair to "save for the fair." More info to follow....My grandfather died in 1960. He would be delighted to see that people are collecting the banks. I have a clutch of bank keys somewhere and will try to find them to see if I can help out the keyless folk above....Sandy.
  13. HambBones, 10 months ago
    I work at a museum in Port Arthur TX and we have one of these book banks from an old local bank in our collection. It seems to have something inside but unfortunatly the donor did not have the key. If anyone could help us aquire a key we would very much appreciate it. Please contact the Museum Of The Gulf Coast at 409-982-7000. Thanks again
  14. dwilks, 9 months ago
    Hi there, I recently bought an old toy truck from the 1920, which had two plain black Banker's Utilities books in them, from a bank in Lawrence Mass. They have no patent date on them, but state "PAT APPD FOR" . I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me find replacement keys for them. One member mentioned they had a locksmith make a key and another member said they had some keys. If I could get a picture of an original key or get the contact info of a locksmith that could make one, that would be great. Thanks for any help someone can provide.
    Cheers,
    dwilks
  15. steveblick, 8 months ago
    Hi Everyone.

Also looking for a key for this great little bank. The back of mine is the same as the above picture and the front is for the Commercial Security Bank Founded 1874, Ogden, Utah. I'm based in Australia and this is an heirloom from my grandfather who was from the USA. If there is a chance to get my hands on a key I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers,

Steve
    stevenblick@gmail.com
  16. Flashback, 8 months ago
    Sonorasandy would it be possible to get a key from you that I can copy and send it back to you?
    My email us leoisambert@yahoo.com

17. Flashback, 8 months ago
    All
    I have made a key that opened my Bankers United Bank Book.
    If you would like instructions please email me at leoisambert@yahoo.com and I would be happy to send you a copy of the key and instructions. All you need is an old hacksaw blade and a file.
  18. richardskw, 5 months ago
    Sanorasandy, did you ever find your keys. I have 2 books from first security bank with no keys. One has coins in it, but I can't open it and the bank has gone our of business years ago. These books are really neat. Your Grandpa did good. Thanks
  19. steveblick, 5 months ago
    I ended up using a paperclip to open it.