Old Cast Iron and Cast Aluminum Lamb Cake Pans

In Kitchen > Molds > Show & Tell.
Molds29 of 30Old mouldsANTIQUE CHICKEN MOLD

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
junkmanjoejunkmanjoe loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
markmark loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel likes this.

Dottie

Speaking of Easter,I always make my lamb cake which is a family tradition.My Mom got me hooked on them growing up.She would decorate her favorite pound cake recipe(after baking it) with coconut and color it green for the grass to sit the lamb on and sprinkle jelly beans on the grass to resemble eggs,it was picture pretty.
The pan on the left is Griswold cast iron and the one on the right is cast aluminum.You can't have to many you know.

Comments

1. Julie, 4 years ago
    How do you bake in this?
  2. Esther110 Esther110, 3 years ago
    Julie, you open the pans up into two dishes, one being the front of the lamb, the other the back. Set them on the side and bake as any baking mold. Once they are done, stand them back up, joing them (if wobbly) with icing, and voilà! A beautiful lamb cake!!
  3. Esther110 Esther110, 3 years ago
    I did mean "joining"
  4. Dottie Dottie, 3 years ago
    Thank you Esther110,it's so nice of you to help Julie out since I missed this question entirely.You are correct, that's the way my Mom does it.
  5. Dottie Dottie, 3 years ago
    Thank you for lovin this Mark,have a great week!
  6. Roxanne , 3 years ago
    I have the mold but need a recipe and baking instructions? Can you use a cake mix or from scratch recipe for white or chocolate cake? How long do you bake it at what temperature and how do you test whether it is done?
  7. Dottie Dottie, 3 years ago
    Hi Roxanne,
    We use this Cream Cheese pound cake recipe,it makes a much firmer cake and it is so delicious.You can test if it's done by placing a wooden skewer (the thin type used for shish kebobs) through the steam escape hole on the back part of the mold.
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups butter
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    3 cups white sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    6 eggs
    3 cups cake flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Coat both parts of the mold with a cooking spray,lightly flour both parts of the mold if the cooking spray does not contain flour
    Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light. Stir in the vanilla and the almond extracts. Add the flour and the eggs alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
    Fill the the front part of the mold with batter so that it is level with the top of the mold and it will rise to fill to back part as it bakes.Place the back part of the mold onto the front.Do not add batter to the back part.Place on the oven rack with the front side of mold down.(the part that contains the batter)
    Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes.Let the cake cool completely before attempting to remove it from the mold.It should come out of the mold easily but shaking the pan to loosen the cake helps.
    Use any recipe for white frosting you like,other than whip cream.Decorate as you wish.
    Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Dottie
  8. solver, 3 years ago
    Dottie, I first thought it was an antique chocolate mold and hadn't seen a cake mold. It's just fabulous!

It seems you have the original vintage Griswold lamb cake mold no. 866. This listing had the original box, which is adorable, and the owner's manual. That must really be fun to use.

In case you are interested, there is a scanned copy of the original Griswold owner's manual listed on ebay. You could probably write your own, and improved, manual by now!

Thanks for showing it and I love your recipe. Chocolate is too expensive and time consuming so I'm going to simplify my life, put the chocolate molds away, and bake cakes in molds. :-) Thanks.
  9. Dottie Dottie, 3 years ago
    Thank you mark and BELLIN68,so glad you like my lambs.