VERY RARE 19THC CHINESE QING DYNASTY MARBLED REALGAR PEKING GLASS MEIPING VASE

In Asian > Chinese Antiques > Show & Tell and Asian > Asian Vases > Show & Tell.
Chinese Antiques365 of 407A Chinese old bowlMy Favorite Chinese Vase

idcloisonneidcloisonne loves this.
coloricolori loves this.
ParkerhouseParkerhouse loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
lucky1000lucky1000 loves this.
markmark loves this.

ozmarty

This just arrived today . It is a Fredrick Egermann Hyalith / Lithyalin glass vase made to look like agate.Some times these get sold as Imperial Peking Glass.
I have after 2 extra years decided that this is indeed a VERY RARE 19THC CHINESE QING DYNASTY MARBLED REALGAR PEKING GLASS MEIPING VASE.
I have since handled (owned ) and seen Egermann Hyalith / Lithyalin pieces and this does differ in weight and shape and construction .

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    YAHOO!
    You should be as happy as Larry Foley!
    LOL!
    Congratulations and have one on me. It looks the business, mate.
  2. ozmarty ozmarty, 3 years ago
    It is , just a wash and it is shiny as new and perfect not a chip anywhere . I can see why people think of these as Chinese , the shape and the glass itself.
  3. Claretjugcollector Claretjugcollector, 2 years ago
    hi ozmarty .. i wander if you could tell me if got something similar .. here is the link :

4. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi Claretjugcollector ,
    I am totally blown away by your collection !!! and have only seen one page!!
    I can see similarities to the 2 pieces I have and most I have seen tends to have streeks resembleing viens in stone . I still think this is Lithyalin / Hyalith glass .
    Is the Decanter a Fredrich Alder design ? or perhaps AlbinMuller? I'm just guessing about that.
    I am in love with it the more I look at it .
    will think on it more tomorrow when my mind it hopefully fresher

5. Claretjugcollector Claretjugcollector, 2 years ago
    hi - thx a lot :-) you collecting is a hard job .. i got this one recently from an german auction house and today i found your site with definitely the same kind of glass.. possibly its french or german .. anyway . the mounting is french silver .. and it s a very heavy thick piece and by the way : your collection is stunning !!!
  6. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi Claretjugcollector , This type of glass was made (copied ) in France and Germany as well as Bohemia . It was first produced at the glass works of count Georg Buquoy arround 1817. Friedrich Egerman purchased glass from Buquoy and developed his Lithyalin glass from it.
    Your jug displays design element I associate with German Jugendstil as opposed to those of the Nancy / French school of Art Nouveau.
    I'd love to handle it so I could learn the differance in the glass from mine .
    ( My wife just added that i should ask you if you need a curator ... she'd do anything to get me a job!! especially I we got to live in Europe. )
    Are you based in Austria ?
  7. Claretjugcollector Claretjugcollector, 2 years ago
    hallo aus Österreich :-)
    i am based in austria , near Vienna and you are absolutely right about the jug .. it must have been made around 1899/1900, agreed on French art Nouveau as well ..and last but not least : I am in urgent need of a good curator :-)
  8. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    EEK! My bags are packed ....I have the tickets ....I'm out the door!!!
    Back to reality...
    Shame I am not going to go to Vienna this time , will be in Europe for a holiday in 6 weeks . Looking at Nancy ( for Nouveau ) ; a bit of the glass road Bavaria / Czech rep; Darmstadt for Jungenstil ; Amsterdam; Delft and Belgium for more art etc .. Not to mention Beer wine food.
  9. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Can you back me into your bag.....Pleeeeease!?...:-)
  10. inky inky, 2 years ago
    In my scramble to be ready!!.. back, means pack....:0)
  11. Claretjugcollector Claretjugcollector, 2 years ago
    Destinations of the trip are fantastic ! nancy great !! darmstadt ( i ve been there last year - amazing - especially the little museum - hot stuff !! architecture is a dream !! Belgium ( the beer is amazing as well ).. next time you make austria as well :-) ( Vienna : Lobmeyr Museum , etc etc )
  12. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi Inky , I do have a large bag that you could fit in!
    Went to Vienna a few years ago missed the Museum, just did a few touristy things . Succession House , Strauss concert ; beer and schnitzle walking trams the Third man ferris wheel ... more beer and schnitzel.
  13. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    I have since handled (owned ) and seen Egermann Hyalith / Lithyalin pieces and this does differ in weight and shape .
  14. Claretjugcollector Claretjugcollector, 2 years ago
    i am definitely not an expert in chinese glass... and i haven´t handled it but i could imagine you are right by saying it doesn´t look 100 % bohemian !!
  15. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi Claret jug collector . I was reluctant to change attribution as I collect Bohemian but after looking at so many others had to face the truth that this is about the same age or earlier and Chinese. Highly desireable.
    I think of your collection and see pieces but none are up to your standards.
  16. Parkerhouse Parkerhouse, 11 months ago
    Hello, ozmarty. Would you please look at my vase that I just posted and see what you think? Thanks a lot.
  17. SEAN68 SEAN68, 11 months ago
    I have forgotten all about this stunner:) I love this:)!
  18. idcloisonne idcloisonne, 7 months ago
    Hello,
    its quite some time since this thread began. I hope I can ask a question about realgar glass. I'm doing some research for an old couple who own a small collection of Chinese snuff bottles. One of them is realgar glass, bright orange and red swirls with a matching stopper cap. Every listing for sale of these types of bottles are called 'imitation realgar ' glass. I'm confused. It is imitation because the bottles are more recent? or was it glass all along and the composition has changed over time?
  19. ozmarty ozmarty, 7 months ago
    Hi idcloisonne thank you for your enquiry .
    The glass is real no matter what age. The glass is made to resemble Realgar a naturally occuring mineral , therefore the imitation is of the mineral not the glass.

examples of Realgar glass especially snuff bottles

hope this answers your question regards Marty
  20. idcloisonne idcloisonne, 7 months ago
    Thank you, I appreciate all the information. I am not knowledgeable in the glass field, do know a bit about Chinese and Japanese export items. I think your vase is beautiful.
    Is realgar a rare form of glass? I found out most Chinese snuff bottles made with it are dated 19th century. Would this mean your meiping vase dates that far back too?
  21. idcloisonne idcloisonne, 7 months ago
    Ignore my questions... moved the screen back up to your LARGE title and got my answers, dum..dum...dum from Canada.
  22. ozmarty ozmarty, 7 months ago
    :) I do that kind of thing too ... it is ( In my CASE ) called a Seniors Moment !
  23. idcloisonne idcloisonne, 2 months ago
    Just felt you might like an epilogue to my questions 4 months ago.
    Bonhams agreed to list the 9 piece snuff bottle collection this fall in California. The realgar glass one was the star of the group with the highest estimate.
    My friends, the old couple, 80 and 69 years, were very pleased and grateful for this outcome. I think your help was part of this success story. Thanks again.