"Colonial Couple" W. S. George Canarytone Lido Dinner Plate

In China and Dinnerware > Show & Tell.
China and Dinnerware2022 of 2407My Tower planterAntique Mitterteich Bavaria tea set w/ gold

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

marcobabe13

My grandparents received this plate on their 50th wedding anniversary in 1950. It's amazing what you can learn by researching a plate! The "Colonial Couple" pattern is a commercial decal that many companies put on their products, including lamps, dinnerware, and art pottery. W.S. George Pottery CO was one such company. Lido is the shape name and Canarytone is the ivory glaze. I'm not sure why Dorlexa China CO is also stamped on the back. Perhaps this company hand-painted the gold? I'm depending on you, Mark, and others to add their expertise. Thanks.

Comments

1. michael Abucevicz, 3 years ago
    was givin a complete set of this dinnerware after death in family. would like to know value of such set, if you could help would appreciate it. thank you
  2. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 3 years ago
    Michael, check out this link on ebay:
  3. michael abucevicz, 3 years ago
    does not show my pattern. my pattern has 1 inch of gold around edge as well as rippled edges.
  4. Brian, 3 years ago
    Dear Sir or Madam,
    I have a salad bowl with matching gold painted serving spoon and fork. The markings on the bottom are exactly as your plate. May I ask if you were able to determine a value? Or, is there a site/person you could refer me to? Thanks for whatever help you can provide.
  5. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 3 years ago
    Sorry, Brian, I haven't been able to find out anything about my particular plate. I've only seen similar ones on ebay.
  6. Brian, 3 years ago
    Hey, thank you very much for responding. I'll try to keep researching and if I turn anything up, I'll be happy to pass it on to you as well, if you're interested.
    My best to you.
  7. Don, 3 years ago
    I have a cake serving set (includes 10.5" cake plate, 6 - 7.5" serving plates and a cake server) that looks exactly as your picture. Wondering if you have been able to find out vintage, value or any other info.
    Thanks
  8. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 3 years ago
    Brian and Don,
    I’ve done some more research on my plate and found that the W.S. George/Radisson line of my plate was produced between 1910-1940. I found plates similiar to mine here:
    As far as value, there are dozens of “colonial couple” dishes on ebay and prices vary. As you would expect, the gold trimmed pieces are more valuable. The plates at the above link are selling for $30.00 a piece. Based on that and the ebay prices, I would guess the value of my plate to be $20.00-$25.00. Sentimental value, however, is much more important to me.
    Hope this info helps!
    Marcobabe
  9. Sandy, 3 years ago
    Picked up five soup bowls, one plate, and one vegetable dish, all gold trimmed, for $16.00 at a thrift store!! I think they are gorgeous. Hoping to find more, or find out they are worth more than I paid. Regardless, I love them, and the blend with with my current china pattern, for which I do not have soup bowls, nor would care to spend the money to get them (Lenox Eternal). What a find!
  10. maryprola, 6 months ago
    Try seaching colonial dancers instead of couple.