What is it?

In Asian > Japanese Antiques > Show & Tell.
Japanese Antiques373 of 416Vase Japanese?Japanese Dragonware?

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
auraaura loves this.
jrfm410jrfm410 loves this.

The top comes off (2nd photo) is it to go under the main piece like a water catch? What ever it is I thought it was pretty. Looks like nippon style but I can't find info on the mark. Any ideas?

Mystery Solved

1. mark mark, 4 years ago
    hello.....Avery nice looking piece. If you could post a better pic of the mark, that may help to find out about the piece
  2. vintagemad vintagemad, 4 years ago
    Hi Mark...This is how the mark actually looks. That's why I'm having so a hard time researching this piece. I know Japan is one word and I figure the other marks say made in or something like that. And then I can also make the word Gold then the rest is a complete blur. But thanks I think its nice too. Any ideas what its for?
  3. mark mark, 4 years ago
    Hi, Don't know what it is for. Looked around the net for such pieces. Also looked at newer import pieces and found nothing. I guess we both know one thing, it is very pretty. Love the blue birds. Will get back to if I find something. Mark
  4. mark mark, 4 years ago
    Your piece is 1950's - 60's Made by Goldcastle go to the link to see the mark. About half way down the page.
  5. vintagemad vintagemad, 4 years ago
    What a cool link, thanks Mark!
  6. mark mark, 4 years ago
    Welcome......I bookmark the link, it is great!
  7. toolate2 toolate2, 4 years ago
    How big is this thing? Could it be for cone incense storage and burning? If it's big enough could be some sort of warming tray. Fill the base with hot water to keep whatever's in the "tray" warm??? Beautiful thing whatever it is. My daughter is standing at my shoulder drooling...
  8. vintagemad vintagemad, 4 years ago
    It's about 3 inches high and 2 inches wide I have it way up high on a shelf and to get at it would require some grace which I do not have today(late night). Thanks for the comment toolate.
  9. toolate2 toolate2, 4 years ago
    To small to be any kind of warming tray I'd say...LOL...