Riedel ruby vases

In Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Bohemian Art Glass3018 of 3102Iridiscent art deco vaseRose bowl, most probably Bohemian

mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
manddmoirmanddmoir loves this.
AlfredoAlfredo loves this.
serafinserafin loves this.
AgustinAgustin likes this.
inkyinky loves this.
pickrknowspickrknows loves this.
DeanteaksDeanteaks loves this.
wolcott1wolcott1 loves this.
scottvezscottvez likes this.

IVAN49

We most probably agreed on this; Riedel family. In the 1900's they produced enameled and gilded glass. They were very fond of square forms (PGM Riedel vitrine). Seldom found in pairs – those two survived intact; ruby glass (not overlay, not flashed, 12 `` tall). Gilded thistles – I think. And something curious; if placed together, no matter which side, the décor matches each other.

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi from Sydney Australia!
    Beautiful vases! Very clever decoration. My Irish roots tell me that those are three leafed clover and their flowers: shamrocks! There are said to be over 300 species of clover.
    I think the species on these vases is Trifolium pratense or RED CLOVER.
    This variety is the national flower of Denmark. Made for the Danish market?
    The shamrock was traditionally used for its medical properties for women and was a popular motif in Victorian times.
    I'd like to see them put together differently again : stand them up and turn them 45 degrees. I think you will have at least one full portrait view of all four sides. I photoshopped the image and it looks amazing!
    I love them! Many thanks for sharing them Ivan!
  2. IVAN49 IVAN49, 3 years ago
    Glad to hear from you and thanks for your comment! Riedel family were German glassmakers in Bohemia. Josef Riedel made ``Uranium glass`` in 19th century (known as Vaseline glass in English). Uranium oxide was added to a glass mix. He named two colors after his wife Anna Maria; yellow ``Annagelb`` and green ``Annagrün `` in German. They made hundreds of glass colors. The flowers are shamrocks.
  3. wolcott1, 3 years ago
    Wow, beautiful vases!
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Thanks for getting me to have another look at the wolcott1! Stunners!
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 10 months ago