Posted 2 years ago
Built by the Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, this combination passenger and freight station opened in September 1911. After serving passengers for nearly 45 years, the last passenger train departed in 1956. The depot offered freight service only until 1970 when the agency moved to Lakeside and the building was sold. The building served a variety of uses in private hands, including implement dealership, beauty salon, dentist office, apartments, and internet service provider - until restoration for a museum began in the summer of 2000. The depot celebrated its centennial in April 2011 with several hundred attendees including 30+ railroad retirees. See the museum website at www.eaglelakedepot.com.