Posted 4 years ago
United States Lighthouse Establishment Small Brass Light-House Keeper’s Oil Measure. c. 1870-1900. Brass one pint oil can was used by Keepers of the Light-House Establishment to measure and transfer oil for the lamps. Can is entirely of brass, and in clean and original condition with few if any marks and no dents or repairs. Can measures 5” high and approx. 3 ½” in diameter. The body of the can is bears the original, distinctive oval stamp: “U. S. L. H. DEPOT, 3 DIST., LAMP SHOP, STATEN ISLAND , N.Y. ” Also bears original stamping “ U. S. LIGHT-HOUSE ESTABLISHMENT” beneath.