WWII Sweater Made in Hollywood

In Military and Wartime > Show & Tell and Mens Clothing > Mens Sweaters > Show & Tell.
Military and Wartime3196 of 38581950's USAF officer hatWWI-Style Barbed Wire Pickets

cokefan

I'm going to need a lot of help on this one. This was purchased from a WWII veteran along with other sweaters. I have never seen and could not find another one like this. This was made in Hollywood and presumably issued to soldiers. I would appreciate any help, especially with the value. I have emailed several collectors and this has generated a lot of interest.

Comments

1. stepback_antiques stepback_antiques, 3 years ago
    Sorry Cokefan, I can't tell you anything about this sweater.
  2. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    I have seen these before. I made costumes for plays at a University, they had a huge clothing department, there were several of these, but they were too itchy and thick to wear. I'm not sure if the tags said Hollywood, but they were definitely government issue at wartime. A few had moth holes, and some were shrunk.
    I have also seen them in Army/Navy Surplus stores.
  3. cokefan, 3 years ago
    Regular ones sell for about $30. The Hollywood connection adds value.
  4. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 3 years ago
    I've also seen these before. Ospry Man-at-Arms series #70, "The US Army 1941-1945" has a photograph of one on page 10. The caption reads "This olive green knitted wool sweater was designed to be worn under the M1941 field jacket in cold weather." I did a little cruising around the internet, and it seems like "Sweaters, High Neck" is the nomenclature. There are people selling them and also making copies of them for reinactors. I should also add that there is a more recently issued US Army sweater from the 1980s that looks very much like the WWII vintage sweaters.
  5. cokefan, 3 years ago
    This one is dated 1944. So far no one has none anything about the Hollywood connection.
  6. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 3 years ago
    Mira Loma Quartermaster Depot was near Los Angeles, and I assume Hollywood Knitting Mills was a local contractor, but I have no idea if the mill had any connection with the movie industry. I assume it was just a knitting mill in the Hollywood area.
  7. cokefan, 3 years ago
    I believe that the mill was located in Hollywood. I am also guessing that the mill that made it might have done work for the movie industry.