Antique Moritz Zdekauer (MZ Austria) Plate

In China and Dinnerware > Show & Tell.
China and Dinnerware1938 of 2488Nippon Chocolate PotRS China....what is it?

Esther110Esther110 loves this.
BlueMammaBlueMamma likes this.

marcobabe13

This is one of my favorite family heirloom plates. I love the hand-painted flowers and the soft colors. The plate's MZ Austria mark was used by Moritz Zdekauer on porcelains made at their Altrohlau, Austria, works from 1884-1909. Since 1909, the company has changed hands but kept the MZ trademark because it was so well recognized. The company is still in operation and goes under the name Starorolsky Porcelan Moritz Zdekauer. I’ve had a history lesson while researching this plate. For years I thought it was made in Austria. Well, it was....and it wasn't. I couldn’t locate Altrohlau, Austria, on a map. That’s because the town is now known as Stara Role in the Czech Republic! Much of Czechoslovakia was in the Hapsburg Empire in the late 1800s. I’ve discovered the company was started in 1810 in what is now Stara Role and eventually had warehouses in Prague, Vienna and Pest. On our European vacation last year we visited all of these beautiful and historic cities! I wish I would have known the history of my plate when we were in Prague, which is only about 100 miles from where my plate was made.

Comments

1. Maggie, 3 years ago
    I have four gamebird plates with the same M Z over the Austria insignia. There is also a number stamped in the plate not on it. Do you know anything about this? These plates are very old.
  2. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 3 years ago
    No, sorry, I don't Maggie. But if your plates have the same marking as my plate, then they were made between 1884-1909 at the same location. Have you tried to find your plate on replacements.com?
  3. Mary, 3 years ago
    I have a few MZ pieces my mom had and acquired another piece called hair receiver. I never knew the history or the meaning of MZ on the porcelain. Thanks for revealing the history on this manufacturer. It's interesting to see how so many pieces survive for so long, and generally in pretty good shape.
  4. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 3 years ago
    Thanks, Mary, and you're welcome. I've had such fun researching this plate and other family heirlooms!
  5. lovelytohold, 2 years ago
    Hello, I was thrilled to find your MZ plate. I have the same pattern in cup and saucer! It is fragile, dainty, and so soft in colors, as you pointed out. Thank you for your commentary. I will be in Europe this summer. Now I have another place as a MUST VISIT. Janis
  6. marcobabe13 marcobabe13, 2 years ago
    You're welcome, Janis. Have a wonderful trip to Europe and let me know if you visit Stara Role!