Vase of unknown origin

In Art Pottery > Show & Tell.
Art Pottery4294 of 5010Vintage German AshtrayRoseville Corinthian 6" bowl

dcleedclee loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
PoppopPoppop loves this.
guyfrmatlguyfrmatl loves this.
Woman34Woman34 loves this.
thriftfanthriftfan loves this.
cogitocogito likes this.
lisalisa loves this.

whatisit

Trying to learn something about this vase. It was my grandmother's. It is stamped and signed. The stamp is not clear, I can only make out the shape of an eagle with wings spread and the word "England." The artist signed in to the wet clay.

There is a Greek key pattern along the bottom, it is more visible on the image of the back.

Thank you in advance for your in put!

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    It's an Art Nouveau vase by Thomas Forester & Sons.
    Hand painted and signed by A. Dean, whose work was shown at the Paris Expo of 1900.
  2. whatisit, 3 years ago
    Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge on this piece. I have uploaded two more photos, showing the pottery markings. Since your kind reply, I have looked up images of work by Thomas Forester & Sons, on some A. Dean's signature is signed in brush strokes. Is the incised signature that of A. Dean?

I had spent hours online reviewing pottery marks and had not found a clue! I am so glad to have found this site and appreciate your input. Thank you, again.

3. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi the incised mark in the clay is just a number: 147. The normal signature you see on Dean's work is raised and probably tube lined. For reference ther is a vase on English ebay with the signature.
    Google "Antique Art Nouveau Vase by Thomas Forester & Sons" and you will see it on one of the pictures.
    Dean was the designer/decorator that is quoted on these Forester pieces.
    The mark can be found @http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/f/forester.html
    Thanks for your comments.
  4. whatisit, 3 years ago
    I have rearranged a room, so the lady can be displayed. Thank you vetraio50 again!
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Pleasure whatsit.
    There is another similar item that has been posted yesterday, but I think it might be a copy!
  6. whatisit, 3 years ago
    Thank you Bellin68!

7. SEAN68 SEAN68, 13 days ago
    this is very stunning!!
  8. SEAN68 SEAN68, 13 days ago
    and your very welcome from 3 years ago!!
  9. whatisit, 13 days ago
    I must start logging in more often. This sight is a wealth of information..... the problem is that once you start, it is easy to spend hours here!
  10. whatisit, 13 days ago
    Thank you SEAN68! :)
  11. SEAN68 SEAN68, 13 days ago
    Your very welcome whatisit !!! :0 I so agree with you :) so please stay on.......... ;%)