Posted 4 years ago
World Warr II antique Jewish closet.
Heavy wood antique jewish closet from the world warII, this closet was owned by Jewish doctor from Seriju St. in downtown before the German army entered the city of Alytus in Lithuania, a border city with Poland and the gate city toward the capital of Vinius and the rest of the Baltic states. The closet wood still in good shape of a size LxWxH 5'x2'x6'9" and very heavy weight.
Alytus or Alite (as was called in Yiddish) is located in the south-western part of Lithuania on the shores of the Neman (Nemunas) river. The town was built on both sides of the river, and a bridge linked both parts. In documents of the fourteenth century Alite was already mentioned as a village. In 1581 Alite obtained the rights of a town (Magdeburg rights). In 1775 the regional courts from Troki (Trakai) and Meretch (Merkine) were transferred to Alite, an event which contributed to its development and to the increase of its population. The “Hansa” merchants who arranged storehouses with salt on the shores of the river would also pass through Alite.
Until 1795 Alite was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Kingdom, when the third division of Poland by the three superpowers of those times – Russia, Prussia and Austria – caused Lithuania to become partly Russian and partly Prussian. The part of the state which lay on the left side of the Neman river (Nemunas) was handed over to Prussia while the other part became a part of Russia. So the right side of Alite (Alite1) was ruled by Russia and the left side (Alite2)-by Prussia who ruled there during the years 1795-1807. After Napoleon defeated Prussia and according to the Tilzit agreement of July1807, Polish territories occupied by Prussia were transferred to what became known as the “The Great Dukedom of Warsaw”, which was established at that time. The king of Sachsonia, Friedrich-August, was appointed duke, and the Napoleonic code now became the constitution of the dukedom, according to which everybody was equal before the law, except for the Jews who were not granted any civil rights.
In 1915 all Lithuania was annexed to Russia including Alite, but Alite1 was included in Vilna Gubernia and Alite2 – in Suvalk Gubernia. In 1856 Alite2 had 619 inhabitants and of them 285 were Jews. In 1886 there were 843 inhabitants in Alite2 and 926 in Alite1.
Following a German order a “Juden Rat” was appointed: Adv. Halperin, Adv. Salansky and Kopl Nemunaitzky. They were called to the Municipality to be informed on restrictive clauses concerning Jews: the ban included restriction from walking on the sidewalks, and from being on the street after 8 o’clock in the evening. The order was for all Jews, men and women ages 14 to 50 to wear a yellow patch in the front and in the back and to present themselves to the German Kommandantur” or to the Municipality at 7 o’clock every morning. The Jews of the Ghetto tried to organize for the sake of mere survival, but frequent arrests, abuse and murders didn’t make the existence of any organization possible.
In the middle of August 1941 the Soviet war prisoners, who were imprisoned in camps nearby, were ordered to dig big trenches in the Vidzgiris forest. In these trenches Jews from Alite and the neighboring towns were cruelly murdered by armed Lithuanians. After the war a few of these murderers were caught and sentenced. The shocking stories they told their investigators implied a willingness to kill Jews and cruelty.
According to German sources, between the 13th of August and the 9th of September 1941 in the Vidzgiris forest 1,137 Jews, men, women and children were murdered. According to an unconfirmed source Jews from Chechoslovakia were murdered at the same site, as well as tens of thousands of Soviet civilians and war prisoners.
Enclosed detailed pictures of the closet, please if you are interested contact by e-mail and I wil submit any additional information will be needed.