Marilyn Monroe Handbag

In Bags > Handbags and Purses > Show & Tell and Movies > Marilyn Monroe > Show & Tell.
Handbags and Purses126 of 198My new favorite purse!Margolin purse

dollybell

This is a Marilyn Monroe handbag with tag that says 1991, Estate of Marilyn Monroe. All rights reserved. Represented by Roger Richman, Beverly Hills, CA.

It's brand new, never worn and in perfect condition.

I own a vintage shop and I got it for the shop, but still I'm not sure what is the real value of this item.

I would really appreciate any information you have on this kind of item. Thank you for viewing!

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    1991? Estate of MM? How can that be?
  2. dollybell dollybell, 3 years ago
    yes I know... I noticed it said presented by Roger Richman, so it must be from some kind of boutique where the items he owns a licence for are sold. This is obviously not from Marilyn but I wonder if items from Roger R. are worth something and how much...
  3. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    It authenticates the bag... he did it in 1991.. he did the alexander mcqeen estate recently. That means you can sell the bag, but intellectual rights.. aka.. making it the symbol of your store.. or using it to gain business.. he is paid a royalty.
  4. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    Let me try to explain the copyright a little better... It is for sure 100% Marylin Monroe's purse and signiture. Roger Richman copyrighted her estate. So, if you were to sell this item, lets say, at a Sotheby's Auction of Celebrity Memorabilia, in order for an image of this item to be placed online or in the catalog, a royalty must be paid to Roger Richman estate.

If you go to the Sotheby's website. Search for Warhol, "Birth of Venus". Warhol's estate still owns the intelligent rights to the piece, but not the actual piece. Because a royalty had to be paid to the Warhol estate, they probably rented the image rights for a period of time, and this time has expired. So you can see all the info about the items sales price, ect, but not the image.

5. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    Did Marilyn sign all her purses? I don't think its really hers. JMO
  6. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    Congrats! Good find! I bet you can sell it for Tens of thousands of dollars! Maybe Hundreds of thousands of dollars!
  7. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    HOTKITTIES, I doubt it, did Michael Jackson sign everything he wore, no, but if it was to be auctioned, or given as a gift or a prize to a sweekstakes, then yes. This bag is an important piece... Her famous white dress sold for $5.6 million recently. If a news corporation wanted to cover the story, someone is paid a royalty for the rights to use that image in the news broadcast. Roger Richman, buys the intellectual rights to many iconic items. That way, when they make news, he gets paid.
  8. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    No, it sold for 4.6 million, not 5.6, also, where did her signature come from? stamped on? sounds silly. I really don;t care either way, I just would never trust it.
  9. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    If you wanted to sell it on ebay, you might have to pay him a fee, since the site is world wide, i am not sure on that. But if it were to sell at Sotheby's... A fee would be paid to put it into the catalog. If it sold for something STUPID REDICULOUSLY high price, and 20/20, local news, fox, nbc, wall street journal, ect... wanted to cover the story... in order to publish a picture of the item, roger is paid.

10. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    dollybell, I am curious to know where you got this bag?
  11. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    She could have signed it for a movie primier or a radio sweepstakes, or for a charity auction... MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNS THINGS ... and gives them to fans... like a rock star autographing a guitar and giving it away to .. I dunno.. the Hard Rock Cafe or something... Someone that worked on the concert tour... there are many reasons celebs sign things.
  12. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    another example, but its not signed. Now, if the signiture is printed on, that means roger got paid to allow what ever company produced the bag, to license her name and autograph. AKA print it on the bag...
  13. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
  14. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    cnn says the dress sold for 5.6 Mill

15. hotkitties, 3 years ago
    I just watched the live auction. The pink dress "diamonds are a girls best friend", I just watched it live. Whatever, I sure don't mean to argue with anyone, I am just really confused how someone can get a MM bag, stick his name on it and make $. I also find it strange that a vinyl bag would belong to her, you would think MM would have something nicer than vinyl. ;)
    Good luck with your MM bag, dolly!
  16. dollybell dollybell, 3 years ago
    thank you everyone for you comments! I really find all of them very useful. Still, I have to stick to the same thinking as hotkitties. I QUOTE: ''I am just really confused how someone can get a MM bag, stick his name on it and make $. I also find it strange that a vinyl bag would belong to her...''

Now I wonder, if this is printed signature and if he got the license to have it printed is it still worth something?
  17. chrislamberthjr chrislamberthjr, 3 years ago
    Ditto on that, but you have to think, plastic and vinyl came out in the 50's so it was like the new posh thing to have.. Who ever thought people would pay over $1000 for nylon... Prada, found a bunch of people who would.
  18. dollybell dollybell, 3 years ago
    yes chrislamberthjr, I think you are right... it was really a posh thing at the time. Now, I am trying to learn a bit more about the purse. I hope you are right about the value!:) thank you for all your comments!

19. Esther110 Esther110, 3 years ago
    I am quoting chrislamberthjr
    "But on the up side, since he authenticated it, that means, you could call the foundation or estate, tell them you were interested in auctioning the piece and needed info on royalty or fee's, they had to prove it was her's to copyright it. So, they will have to tell you where she signed it and for what reason."

Check with them. If Chris is correct, they will authenticate it for you.

Nice little purse!
  20. dollybell dollybell, 3 years ago
    Thank you Esther! I've sent them an e mail, so now I am waiting for response. Hope it will be good one:)