Cowboy Themed Pen & Ink

In Posters and Prints > Prints > Show & Tell.
Prints503 of 732Antique framed Godey's Fashion print Dec. 1891Religious?

clockermanclockerman loves this.
antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
yhan1015yhan1015 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
FomdiddleFomdiddle loves this.
dmouse8dmouse8 loves this.

jwendell222

Signed & numbered calf roping (46/500, 19" x 15") and cowboys at rest (6/620, 16" x 10") by Mike L. Smith, both 1982. Mauve tinted pen & ink.
Have been unable to find any information on the artist. He did two bronze sculptures that I know of: Reclining Horse which sold at auction in Sep. 2008, (don't know where) and Wolf Hunter on which I have nothing but a photo. Greatly appreciate any biographical or other information on this artist.

Comments

1. Fomdiddle Fomdiddle, 2 years ago
    I have two of Mikes prints, the Calf Roping, and one of a cowboy in a tackroom smoking a roll your own cigarette. Both are beautifully detailed. I heard he was a cowboy down in the big bend area who was shot by drug smugglers and they were selling these to help pay his medical bills. This was several years ago and I haven't been able to find any more information about him.
  2. jwendell222, 2 years ago
    Hi Fomdiddle, I had not heard that story, the only information I have placed him in Oklahoma. I have photos of three bronze works, one of which was sold at auction in Houston. I have done some serious research trying to locate him with only a little success. If you will send a note to: jwendell222@aol.com I'll return with photos of the bronzes and a little more data. Thanks for your posting and a reply, Jim
  3. jwendell222, 1 year ago
    Another Mike Smith pen & ink print, courtesy of Fomdiddle. This one (fourth picture), in typical Smith style, is of a standing cowboy in a tackroom. It’s dated ‘81’ and is # 886 of 1000. Still no personal information on Mike Smith.
    Thank you Fomdiddle and best wishes, Jim

4. yhan1015, 1 year ago
    that cowboy pic that is shown, my dad has the exact one...any idea on the value he is driving me nuts about it. I told him about the 2 u have and thats all I know please help.... thanks
  5. jwendell222, 1 year ago
    Hi yhan, not sure which picture you're referring to, they are all cowboys. Is your dad's signed and numbered, if so, which picture and what number? As you can see from the chatter here, don't know much about the artist, Mike Smith, and nothing about valuations. If any have been sold at auction or offered for sale, I've missed them. If anything develops, I'll let you know. Regards, Jim
  6. yhan1015, 1 year ago
    Hi Jim- The last one posted the cowboy alone in tack room with chaps on.
    yes has been signed & dated..... my dad swears that Mike himself gave him that picture...in 95' my dad was in west tx Alpine area working and met this Mr. Smith..so the story goes...my dad just loves it and I thank u for any info... sincerely yours Megan
  7. jwendell222, 1 year ago
    Hi Megan, if you look at comment #2 above you will find my email address. Send me a note and I'll return with the photos of bronzes done by Mike Smith and some additional information. Regards, Jim
  8. western-art, 9 months ago
    My dad and Mike Smith were friends; met at Ft. Richardson, Jacksboro, TX. Mike gave my dad three prints-calf roping Mike L. Smith '82 AC/7-50; cowboy in tack room Mike L. Smith'81 418/1000; cowboys at rest Mike L. Smith '82 336/500. My dad is deceased and I would appreciate any information re the artist and/or his art work.
  9. jwendell222, 9 months ago
    Hi western-art, most of what I know about Mike Smith is what you see here. If you will send me an email (see comment #2 for address), I'll send you photos of his bronze work, and a little more data. Regards, Jim