#16 and #17 Billiard Balls

In Games > Show & Tell.
Games457 of 721Passed down from my mother and her brother.Chinese Mythical Chess Set

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
garrybeairgarrybeair loves this.

gvgordon

I got a box of billiard balls today and there is a 16 and 17 ball. Does anyone know what these were used for. I have spent my time in pool halls and don't remember a game with more than 15 balls. Any help is appreciated.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Stonie Stonie, 3 years ago
    All I could find was 17 ball Snooker and 22 Ball Snooker.
  2. tommy1002 tommy1002, 3 years ago
    Baseball for billiards uses 21 numbered balls.
  3. gvgordon gvgordon, 3 years ago
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the baseball angle.
  4. gvgordon gvgordon, 3 years ago
    I think we have a winner! Thanks for the tip Tommy.

OK, found out a little more info. This is a cut and past from a wikipedia link:

Baseball pocket billiards or baseball pool (sometimes, in context, referred to simply as baseball) is a pocket billiards (pool) game suitable for multiple players that borrows phraseology and even some aspects of form from the game of baseball. For instance, although baseball pool is played on a standard pool table, the 9 ball is known as the "pitcher", the table's foot spot where balls are racked is known as "home plate", and each team or player is afforded "nine innings" to score as many "runs" as possible.[1][2][3]

Baseball pocket billiards has been in existence since at least 1912, when Brunswick soberly described it in a pamphlet as "the most fascinating game of the twentieth century."[1] The game has relatively simple rules. The winner is the player with the highest run tally after all players have taken nine turns "at bat".[1]

Although never one of the most popular billiards pursuits, and more well known in the early- to mid-20th century, the game has been featured in well-advertised public tournaments. For example, in 1922, the Pennsylvania Railroad System hosted a large scale “Indoor Championships” sports tourney in Columbus, Ohio, with more than 1,500 contestants competing at 15 events, including baseball pocket billiards, for an audience of approximately 20,000 spectators.[4]

5. tommy1002 tommy1002, 3 years ago
    I'll be honest and tell ya I cheated and looked it up in my Billiard Congress rule book. I had no clue before your post, lol!!!!!
  6. garrybeair garrybeair, 3 years ago
    This is why i love the internet.I have shot pool,snooker,and billiards,and have never heard of baseballbilliards.Thanks for sharing
  7. Benking, 3 years ago
    I have some too, which I want to show here.

I hade very rare ones, but can't remember why the were utmostly expensive; can someone talk about my balls?