Pair of Ornate Oriental Vases

In Asian > Asian Vases > Show & Tell.
Asian Vases383 of 450Soapstone vaseOriental Pottery Vase

VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
MISTAKAZUMISTAKAZU loves this.
DeanteaksDeanteaks loves this.
aldo78aldo78 likes this.
kidkid likes this.
petalsgonepetalsgone loves this.
tschroedermtschroederm loves this.
trgrubaughtrgrubaugh loves this.

jwendell222

I found these in the middle seventies, about two years apart, one at a flea market, the other at an estate sale, and did not see another until Clint Eastwood’s 1997 film of ‘Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil’ was released. A pair of these appears in several scenes on a chest of drawers in John Kelso’s (played by John Cusack) Carriage House apartment.
The vases are 12” tall, made of lost wax molded composition, with a scene inset on either side. There is much decoration and a pair of elephant heads facing out on the sides. They are thick walled, heavy, and fully lined inside from the throat down. There is script in the mouth, different on each vase, thus likely added to each wax form before molding. They are signed on the bottom with two characters in a circle, the same on both. Greatly appreciate any additions to this.

Comments

1. jwendell222, 3 years ago
    Hey Spud, thanks very much for your input. You have them earlier than I would have thought, and I like that. Lost wax almost for sure. This makes three pair that we know of, perhaps someone else can add another. Getting a hit on the base mark would be a bonus.
    Jim
  2. Jmh17, 2 years ago
    I have this vase also and would like some information on it.
  3. jwendell222, 2 years ago
    Hi, there isn't much more information availble than I've posted here. Spud, up above, has a pair, and someone on another forum has one, but the black base is missing. With yours, that's a total of eight. I posted the two character base mark on an Asian forum, had over 1500 lookers, but no recognition. I think that mark is Italian since a great deal of quality oriental composition art was made there.
    Some guesses: Italian origin; pre 1950, maybe several decades earlier; scarce, does not show up in auctions. The vases are identical, but the markings in the throat are different in each vase, curious for molded composition. Welcome to the mystery vase club. Regards, Jim
  4. tschroederm tschroederm, 2 years ago
    I also have one of theses vases can anyone help me find the value ???

Tim Schroeder 269-903-6157
  5. Judydiane, 1 year ago
    I have a pair of these vases with the black stands and with a signature on the bottom of the vase and an unknown signature in the ivory like mouth of the vase. Would appreciate any information found.
  6. jwendell222, 1 year ago
    Hi Judy, there isn't much more information available (that I know of) than you see on this post. I found a large ungainly V shaped vase by the same maker, same base mark, same molded composition, about 12" high and 12" diameter at the top in an antique mall a couple of months ago. (didn't buy it)
    The markings in the throat on these seem to be different in each vase, and so were added to the wax form when it came out of the master, probably with shaped stylus in the manner of cuneiform. Regards, Jim
  7. jwendell222, 8 months ago
    Vintagefran and George (geo26e) have provided some fresh input and a possivle interpretation of the base mark: 'ivory Master'. There are several more vases of this grneral shape and form using the same mark See link:

8. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 8 months ago
    Hi Jim, nice vases. I maybe getting another one, the person i got mine from has another different, bigger one, i maybe getting that too if she doesn't want it. I wonder if it will be one of these? :)
  9. geo26e geo26e, 8 months ago
    Hi Jim & VintageF, I cannot make out what is written in picture 3 (the characters appears to be poorly done and trying to mimic Chinese writing to fool Westerners). In picture 4, it says 'Ivory Master', however, whoever did this was most likely copying it from another source as the calligraphy appears very poor. Hope this helps!
  10. jwendell222, 8 months ago
    Hi George, thanks for looking at this. I think the script in the throat on these vases is fantasy. It is different on each vase (I've seen several besides my own) and was added to the wax forms with shaped sticks. This, and your judgement of the quality of the base mark fits very well with my theory that thes vases are Italian, or ar least European. Again, thanks for your input and best wishes, Jim