Vargas Calender Girls 1963

In Paper > Calendars > Show & Tell and Posters and Prints > Pin Ups > Show & Tell.
Calendars55 of 105Some more of the 1963 calendar girlsSWENY NOTEPAD CALENDAR

pickingupbonespickingupbones loves this.
lundylundy loves this.
cworkcwork loves this.
VontrikeVontrike loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.

Manikin

These are a few of Photo's In Vargas calender dated 1963 . It makes me want to start singing Calender Girl song by Neil Sedaka. The 3rd photo is cover of calender.
FRITZ WILLIS
Artist Sketch Book Memo Calendar For 1963
Biography of Fritz Willis
When, in the summer of 1946, Esquire announced an important newfeature entitled the Esquire Gallery of Glamour, the magazine selected Fritz Willis to supply the inaugural illustration. It was his first published pin-up, and it launched a spectacular thirty-year career.
A multifaceted talent, Willis once even acted with Katherine Hepburn, in Alice Adams. In the late 1930s and early 1940s, he worked for Warner Brothers as a production-design and publicity artist. At the studio, he developed a friendship with Joe De Mers, who joined him in creating pin-ups for the Esquire Gallery.
The year 1950 was a banner one for Willis. Not only did he begin to supply illustrations to the nation's major magazines, he was also inundated with advertising commissions from companies like Max Factor, Sunkist, and Pepsi Cola. Willis painted program covers for the Shipsteads and Johnson ice Follies from 1952 to 1969 and once accepted a commission for a billboard for the Stardust Hotel and Casino Lounge in Las Vegas. He wrote four classic art-instruction books for the Waiter Foster Company which have remained in print for more than forty years.
In 1961, Willis received another important commission: Brown and Bigelow asked him to revamp their best-selling Artist's Sketch Pad calendar. He devised a fresh format and design for the calendar and, in the process, created the last of the great pin-up girls. The Willis Girl, though born in an age of rebellion, had the sophisticated air of the classic pin-up.
Willis' work was usually executed in oils on a canvas placed over illustration board; some of his magazine illustrations and pin-ups of the late 1940s were painted in gouache on board. Most images were about 18 x 24 inches (45.7 x 6 i cm), but the major pieces could be larger.
Upon his retirement, Willis and his wife Pat, who was his model as well as his best friend, moved to San Clemente, California. He later developed Parkinson's Disease and died on January 13, 1979.

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you kerry and vontrike. I remembered having this after seeing my Dads navy Jail photo and the back wall behind him :-)
  2. lundy lundy, 3 years ago
    i need a nurse like that ,nice peices
  3. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Heh Heh He said nice pieces. Sorry was just checkin out the Beavis and Butthead post.That's it I'm officially changing my birth year from 1962 to 1963!!
    Nice Mani !!
  4. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    LOL Lundy our nurses here all look like that . I guess your in wrong state :-(
    Thanks for nice comment . I guess I should post a few more of the calender girls
  5. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    For Hedge ! Ok you can be born in 63 !
    I love, I love, I love my calender girl
    Yeah, sweet calender girl
    I love, I love, I love my calender girl
    Each and every day of the year
    (January) You start the year off fine
    (February) You're my little valentine
    (March) I'm gonna march you down the aisle
    (April) You're the Easter Bunny when you smile
    Yeah, yeah, my heart's in a whirl
    I love, I love, I love my little calender girl
    Every day (every day), every day (every day) of the year
    (Every day of the year)
    (May) Maybe if I ask your dad and mom
    (June) They'll let me take you to the Junior Prom
    (July) Like a firecracker all aglow
    (August) When you're on the beach you steal the show
    Yeah, yeah, my heart's in a whirl
    I love, I love, I love my little calendar girl
    Every day (every day), every day (every day) of the year
    (Every day of the year)
    (September) Light the candles at your Sweet Sixteen
    (October) Romeo and Juliet on Halloween
    (November) I'll give thanks that you belong to me
    (December) You're the present 'neath my Christmas tree
    Yeah, yeah, my heart's in a whirl
    I love, I love, I love my little calender girl
    Every day (every day), every day (every day) of the year
  6. kerry10456 kerry10456, 3 years ago
    Sing to us Mani, I can almost hear that tune now. :-)
  7. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    I am singing it Kerry :-) It is now stuck in my head ! Can you hear me ?????
  8. kerry10456 kerry10456, 3 years ago
    Yes, and such a sweet voice, like an angel.
  9. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    kerry it makes my voice better I guess LOL when I sing on CW ! :-)
  10. lundy lundy, 3 years ago
    wow thats great manikin,and id love to come to your state
  11. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Wow Mani that was great !! Thanks...The Beach Boys got nuttin on you !!!!!
  12. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Hey Bellin you have the fancy ashtray with the glass to put out a fire so light up LOL but remember to fill glass with water in case ya fall asleep :-)
    You missed out Bellin by a few yrs so you can't look to young :-)
  13. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thanks hedge ! I know the girls look better than the beach boys for sure :-)
  14. EJW-54 EJW-54, 3 years ago
    His wife was his Model? WOW lol
  15. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Please, please post more, I love, I love, my little calender girl.
  16. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    You got it Walksoft . I will put more up in AM :-)
  17. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    EJW not many wives could fit the bill for this modeling . She had to be amazing . No wonder he died they ruled he had Parkinson's but I am not sure she did not make him tremble and shake while posing for him !
  18. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Amen !!
  19. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Is dying with a smile ( among other things ) a sign of Parkinsons ?
  20. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Doesn't it make you wonder hedge about his shakes :-)
  21. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    I will be passing out cigarettes when get them all posted :-)
  22. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Double mine up...I've already gone through a pack !
  23. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Ok but I will have to charge state tax LOL Hedge
  24. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 3 years ago
    Of course Mani.We can't have our fat cats gettin skinny !
  25. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    lol The man will come for me Hedge if I don't declare it :-)
  26. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you Vintagemad !
  27. Signaholic Signaholic, 3 years ago
    I thought I heard some singing round here?
  28. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    LOL Signaholic you heard that too :-) Thanks for the thumbs up on the Calendar Girls
  29. Belltown Belltown, 3 years ago
    Hi Mani:
    If you want to see Neil Sedaka in the 1960s Scopitone video that goes with those lyrics, check out this article we published:
    ;-)
  30. junkmanjoe junkmanjoe, 3 years ago
    Nice Manikin!! beautiful Voice! The song Is stuck In my Head Now! Nice I need a nurse like that!
  31. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you Junkman glad I am not only one with song stuck in my head :-)
  32. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you Belltown ! Great site and thank you so much for posting it ! Love it
  33. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you packrat ! with emt so far away are you sure these are safe for you :-) Just kiddin glad you liked them !
  34. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    Thank you oleg !
  35. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
  36. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    I guess I better photo rest of the girls too on calender .
  37. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
  38. toolate2 toolate2, 3 years ago
    I've avoided loving these cause I'm kind of an up tight Baptist. But, man could this guy draw a woman! Wonderful artwork! I love her..ahhh I mean them...lol...
  39. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    I see it as art tootlate not a real woman photo that is the difference a drawing or a real person. He had talent and these paintings put a smile on a lot faces so it's ok to be a Baptist and like them :-) Eve had less on in the bible :-)
    Thanks for love toolate !!!!!!!!!
  40. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you la.lady :-)
  41. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  42. Manikin Manikin, 9 months ago
    Thank you tom61375 and Geo ! I appreciate you stopping :-)
  43. tom61375 tom61375, 9 months ago