Why Did she Bring An Anchor? George Washington Greiving Scene-How Old Is This?

In Posters and Prints > Prints > Show & Tell.
Prints474 of 733Limited John Wayne printLouis Icart print "Entitled "Pappilion"

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.
packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
AmphoraPotteryAmphoraPottery loves this.
trgrubaughtrgrubaugh loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
wolcott1wolcott1 loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
tlmbarantlmbaran likes this.

BeauxPurdy

George Washington Greiving Scene
I found this in an old box in attic. It is very fragile and I hate to even touch it. Does it read, 'There is rest in heaven'? The letter 'S' looks odd to me.
This is really neat and I'm going to give it to my brother, but would like to tell him something about it when I do.
Does anyone know who the lady is that brought her own anchor?
Thank-You for any comments!

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Thank-you Bellin, I just don't know, It has been in attic since 1920's is all I do know for sure. And it almost ended up in the trash too!
  2. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    You are reading it correctly-- the late 18th century "s" was usually printed and written this way. You will see the same thing on the label on the back.

This style of "s" disappeared in the early 19th century. I have a printed copy of a Washington memorial sermon from 1800, that has the same "s" construction.

Since Washington died in DEC 1799, I suspect that this was printed in about 1800. I don't know the numbers that were printed, but I find it very interesting. Some online searches through print dealers will surely provide you information on the print run and general value.

Your print needs some archival preservation, but would frame nicely.

I think it is a treasure.

Scott
  3. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Scott -Thank you. I think it is neat. The broken 's' on the back also made me think the "s" was reinvented at some point... I'm still curious of anchor lady. thank you scott!
  4. toolate2 toolate2, 2 years ago
    Wonderful find!! Congrats!!!
  5. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Thank-You toolate2, I was excited! I have been mucking about in my Grandparents attic and most everything I discover is from 1888-1940's.
    I am still curious about symbolism of lady with anchor...
    Thank-you for nice comment!
  6. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    The lady is standing like the Statue of Liberty pose ? Hm ?
    Very great piece beaux . I would frame it asap in acid free condition , Love it !
  7. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Thomas Clarke (American, active 1797-1801), “Sacred to the Memory of the Illustrious G. Washington”, engraving, Boston, 1801
    This is Super Cool! (for me at least :)
    Thank-You Manikin! Wow, she is! I don't think the Statue of Liberty was completed yet (about 1884 in France, I think) So this is even before that if this information is correct :)
  8. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Bellin
    You not just, 'some what right'.... In my book, You are, Always Perfectly Right!
    :) Are you a history teacher?
  9. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    :) God Gifted You GOOD! You are my Thrift Store Hero!
  10. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  11. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    I think your piece is very valuable Beaux ! !!!
    I am also wondering IF they did not sculpt the statue of liberty to look like her as she is symbol of hope . Awesome ! Love it a REAL piece of history !!

When George Washington died on December 14, 1799, grief at the loss of the first president united many Americans. Although Washington’s funeral was held at Mount Vernon, over the following months, cities and towns throughout the nation staged their own funeral processions and other memorial events. Soon after, works of art—prints, ceramics, and jewelry—told of the new nation’s sorrow at the death of its leader and hero. Although mourning art was popular in Europe and England in the late 1700s, George Washington’s passing precipitated a new market for the genre in the United States.

The National Heritage Museum is fortunate to hold a number of pieces that mark the passing of America’s first president. Many came to us as part of the Dr. William L. and Mary B. Guyton Collection of more than 600 prints and ephemera related to Washington. This collection demonstrates the way that the memory of George Washington has developed over the past 200 years.

The print seen here, on view in our current exhibition, “Curators’ Choice: Favorites from the Collection,” and through our online catalog, was made around 1801, not long after Washington’s death. It is one of the earliest pieces in the Guyton collection. Typical of mourning art of the time, it features sentimental images of a man and a woman, shedding their tears before a monument that features Washington’s portrait and the inscription, “There Is Rest in Heaven.” In this imaginary garden setting, complete with a weeping willow and other symbolic flowers and trees, the allegorical figure of Hope, symbolized by the anchor at her feet, stands behind the mourners.
  12. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Interesting thought and great observation! You solved my biggest question, She is symbol of hope, I am so grateful to you! I saw other prints of this on auction sites, but they gave mostly monetary value & didn't explain the details & symbolism like you just have! You are wonderful, Thank-You!
    I hope my brother likes this, I found other similar items that I just gave to him right away, this one I forgot about till I found it in a pile of photo's recently. Some body in my family had a fondness for A. Lincoln & G. Washington.
    Thank-you Manikin!
  13. wolcott1, 2 years ago
    This is a wonderful piece of history BeauxPurdy, cherish it!
  14. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 2 years ago
    Thank You wolcott1 ! Now that I know more about it and its history, I will!
  15. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 2 years ago
    this really is a treasure! the chain on the anchor is broken which symbolizes the cessation of life [death]. Pointing upwards, she is indicating the path to heaven and w/ her other arm, she is consoling the mourners. i think that the piece is a little bit later, because the lady w/ the anchor became hugely popular only after May, 1802, when St. Philomena's tomb was discovered in Rome. This is probably one of the earliest known depictions of her - certainly in America. What an amazing treasure!

i found this in wikipedia:
    A female, typically shown wearing Roman Stola and Palla garments, stands with one arm resting on or holding an anchor. This is often an Anchored cross meaning hope[7] and is the primary symbol of the statue. Further, the New Testament, Hebrews 6:19 states Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil.[8] Often, the opposite arm is raised with the index finger of the hand pointing towards the sky. This symbolizes the pathway to heaven. A hand held over the heart symbolizes faith. Other key elements can be a broken chain attached to the anchor or sometimes hanging from the neck. This symbolizes the cessation of life. Many statues have a single five pointed star rather than a circle of stars. The Star (symbol) is on the top of the forehead, usually on a Crown of Immortality or diadem, and represents the immortal soul.[9]
  16. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 2 years ago
    i found this same image here: http://www.oldprintgallery.com/image_viewer.cgi?53094_4373_sacred_to-the-memory.jpg

i'm not quite sure of the details, but from what i've read, that image of a woman w/ an anchor could not have been used before May, 1802 - when philomena's grave was discovered in rome. a mystery?