MDINA ROCK VASE

In Art Glass > Studio Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Studio Art Glass135 of 158BEN EDOLS ZANFIRICO BOTTLE 2009Art Glass Basket

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
sammiibubblessammiibubbles loves this.
czechmanczechman loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
AmphoraPotteryAmphoraPottery likes this.
BeauxPurdyBeauxPurdy loves this.
hapolihapoli loves this.
lisalisa loves this.
austrohungaroaustrohungaro loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

vetraio50

What I liked about this Vinnies find was the colour and the shape. The black is different for Mdina I think. The swirls almost take over the vase completely and have within them that Mdina metallic creamy/yellow inclusion. The Mdina Glass factory was founded in Malta in 1969 by Michael Harris and taken over in 1975 by Joseph Said. The colours used in the glass normally reflect the sun, sea and sand of the Maltese landscape. To me this black is unusual.

Prompted by austrohungaro's collection I'd been looking through a favourite site on Danish glass and saw a vase of similar shape to this one by Per Lutken: http://www.hardernet.dk/. It was a unique vase described as "Lerform krukke, multifarvet, tæt marmor lerform opdrevet. 26,0 cm. 24,0 cm. Holmegaard PL 2366. Oktober/november, 1970".

The form is very similar and the decor too! My vase is much smaller.
It is marked beneath with Mdina / 05 / 73-41A.
H:14cm (5 .5") W:10cm x 8 cm (3 .5" x 3 .1")

The marks on Mdina are a bit of a mystery to me at least. Can anyone help with explaing the significance of the numbers beneath? Is it as late as 2005?

Comments

1. AmberRose AmberRose, 3 years ago
    She really pulls you in.
  2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks BELLIN68 & AmberRose too!
  3. AmberRose AmberRose, 3 years ago
    V, I hit a couple of thrifts and spent considerable time digging for you ice tongs. No luck yet, but still looking! Hope you are doing well!
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi Amber thanks for looking. I went out today but have come with nothing. The heat here is stifling. We're going into the really hot period. Hope you're well there too!
  5. AmberRose AmberRose, 3 years ago
    It is a mild winter here, probably to make up for last year. I found no treasures today either. Oh well the hunt is half the fun. Stay cool V!
  6. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi BELLIN68! No, maye. The fact is I have tons of tongs, but not the 'right ones'! They will come in the long run. Things find me. I'm sure you're the same way.
    What was that Facebook thing? I did get the Charles and Ray site but it is blocked for those outside the US. Not everything is 'free to air'. We here in Australia will have to wait years suspect but there is plenty of material on them here already. I have book on them. Love 'em. But that market was cornered here forty years ago!
  7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    I'm onto it now! See what you mean. Someone's new job is to put it all together on Facebook. Brings new meaning to 'work'. Not meaning to be rude to those whose job it is. IYLWIM? ;)
    Cross pollination!
  8. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 3 years ago
    Hi vet, I now understand why you thought of Lütken's Lerform vases :) I love this little vase. Such a nice mix of colours!
  9. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks austrohungaro!
  10. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    A tie? I haven't worn one since I went to my sister's wedding twenty years ago!
    They also remind me of my private school education here in Australia where you are forced to wear them. Not really into the corporate look. My partner wants to go cruising but so far I've just said: "Only if I can have an Armani wardrobe."
    That's so far been enough to stop that and then the Costa Concordia debacle has slowed any idea of a holiday on the high seas.
    I gave up on clothes a long time before that too. I buy everything second-hand except for underwear and footwear. I love fashion and fashion TV; really! But I like vintage Fubu! I'm starting to collect street wear: Platinum FUBU collection M.Ali, Fat Albert and Harlem Globetrotters clothing lines. So far I've only a few items. I also like Mambo the Australian T-shirt company started by New Zealand born Chris O'Doherty / Reg Mombasa. Have you heard of it?
    Google reg mombassa mambo and look in 'images' for Chris O'Doherty (Reg's) art.
  11. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks lisa & PhilDavidAlexanderMorris!
  12. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks BeauxPurdy, hapoli & lisa too!
  13. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks AmphoraPottery!
  14. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Many thanks AEON!
  15. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Many thanks SarahHoFF!
  16. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    That's right another one my favorites from your collection Kevin!!!! Love the shape ,form,color!!!!!
  17. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Many thanks yet again SEANb!
  18. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    Your very welcome Kevin!!!!!:)
  19. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Many thanks MSL!
  20. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Kevin, may I have half as much knowledge as you have for Loetz and Kraliks...sigh..:) one day :0
  21. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Just looking for connections, I'm a visual learner!
  22. vetraio50 vetraio50, 9 months ago
    Many thanks GARY 'n SAMMIIBUBBLES!
  23. vetraio50 vetraio50, 8 months ago