Posted 5 years ago
After the civil war, glass bottles became much more available and were usually sealed with a simple cork. This worked fairly well for most bottlers, but corks would sometimes dry out or leak, and were not easy to reseal.
As the cork stopper lost favor among brewers and bottlers, many inventors worked feverishly to patent the perfect bottle sealing device. Dozens of bottle stopper patents were issued to eager inventors who were hoping to cash in on the latest mechanical marvel. Meanwhile, the population was increasing dramatically, breweries were opening everywhere and the demand for refillable bottles was ever increasing.
Prior to 1900, nearly all glass bottles were custom made with raised-letters and graphics which proudly stated the name, address and logo of the “owner” of each bottle. These bottles were semi-hand-made and were certainly intended to be filled and returned many times during their lifetime. Bottles made prior to 1900 typically have some sort of bulbous mouth on them which could be designed specifically to accommodate a particular type of patented bottle stopper.These had a rubber washer (that usually rotted away years after use)
The patent information is printed on the narrow end of the stopper: “Patented K. Hutter Feb. 7, 1893.” This stopper was eventually replaced with the Crown Cap,which was cork lined.
Many times these stoppers are found in dumps,with a partial wire bail attached.This held them on the bottle.Great graphics on some of these.Unfortunately,they aren't worth a lot,but are a great item to collect if you are short on space!