Vintage Pewter Cup~Fascinating Shape~Signed RL, TIN~Any Guesses?

In Arts and Crafts > Show & Tell.
Arts and Crafts Era213 of 286Vintage Brass/copper Desk Lamp!Arts and Crafts Copper and Bronze or Brass Pitcher

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
Hems303Hems303 likes this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
cogitocogito loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
AmphoraPotteryAmphoraPottery likes this.
BirdieZBirdieZ loves this.
austrohungaroaustrohungaro loves this.

Budek

Hello,
I've had this a long time. I love the curious design of it. I've tried looking up the mark in the past with no success. Looks like ' RL ', in addition to the mark ' TIN '.
Maybe Danish?
It's beautifully made, hand hammered pewter,
really handsome, and it's wee 4 3/4 inches packs a visual wallop:)

Thanks All,
Tony.

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    The look is ceratinly Jugendstil. 'Tin' is Dutch, Danish & Icelandic for "tin". So I suppose all are possible.
    I think 'cogito' may well know.
  2. Budek Budek, 3 years ago
    Thanks Vetraio, great information. I'll look that up and see if I can find out anything more about it.
    I hope you're enjoying a beautiful day,
    Goodnight from New England,
    Tony.
  3. Budek Budek, 3 years ago
    Hello V,
    I want to Thank You again. I learned that 'TIN' can mean both cast tin, and pewter
    and I see what you mean about the style,....it does seem to reflect the Jugendstil look and feeling,( thanks for opening my eyes ).
    bye for now,
    T
  4. Budek Budek, 3 years ago
    Thank You Amphora, Birdie, Scandi, Austro, Amber and Bellin! You can't have too much love.
  5. cogito cogito, 3 years ago
    Certainly a bow design-wise to Austrian Secessionist style, but this cup is probably Danish...certainly Northern European, where metal arts in the Art Nouveau/Jugendstil vein were more linear and sparse. Looks like Pewter to me given the pitting on the side. Someone really took paste polish to this one (notice the white residue near the ball appliqués). However, all that being said I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that this cup was mid-century modern from the same Northern European region. Very cool piece!
  6. Budek Budek, 3 years ago
    Thank You Marty and Cogito!
  7. artislove artislove, 2 years ago
    nice piece in holland tin means pewter and daalderop was a factory that made similar things so rd could mean royal daalderop i think this is worth checking out good luck!
  8. Bazelmania Bazelmania, 2 years ago
    The design looks Dutch. The signature doesn't. To me it looks RL but I can't find anything at all for RI, RL or RD. I'll keep my eyes open.