PAINTING SIGNED BEN COLLINS

In Visual Art > Paintings > Show & Tell.
Paintings319 of 3971892 watercolor by FM Gamble, Mill Valley, CA  "PAINTING ON A BARK TREE "

CindBCindB loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.

joell123

I PICKED THIS UP AT AN ESTATE SALE ITS A PAINTING FRAMED SIGNED BEN COLLINS. ANY INFO ON THE ARTIST AND PAINTING WOULD BE GREAT

Comments

1. stefdesign stefdesign, 3 years ago
    I found an artist named Ben Collins online, you can find a little info about him here: http://www.askart.com/askart/artist.aspx?artist=11094696

Not sure if it's the same artist. The thing that surprises me, is that he used canvas board. When I was in art school, we always looked at canvas board as strictly amateur. The painting definitely doesn't look amateur! Very nice! (Ditch the frame!)
  2. Dizzydave Dizzydave, 3 years ago
    Agree frame suxs and make it look cheap. Find a Antique frame and see if it won't look better. Nicely done and I think you have the right artist Stef.
  3. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 3 years ago
    Love it, love it!
  4. Margie09, 2 years ago
    Hi, I'm not an art person but we have a similar painting that was hanging here when my parents bought their house in 1996. I was also wondering who Ben Collins was. I will take a picture and post it soon.
  5. sflm, 2 years ago
    Hi folks..i also have a ben collins..a beach dunes painting..painted on canvas board, signed by him and with the same exact frame as yours joell123. I have tried to research and even contacted the newman gallery online who also has a few Ben Collins paintings, though not sure if it is the same Ben Collins. Mine has paper and a sticker on the back as it once was a museum piece haging in philadelphia..where i think he originated from. I too would like more information but not much our there, almost like he led a clandestine life. There was an issue of LIfe magazine back in i think the 1950s that had an article and photos of the most up and coming artists. I bought the issue on ebay bc my friend was one of the artists when he was in art school..though when i met him he was 84 yrs old..Hazard was my friends first name. I should check and see if Ben Collins is in that group now that i think of it. Anyway, lets keep trying to solve this..about Ben Colins. My painting i got in Cape Cod, Ma for little money from a shop relocating that had to sell everything fast. Its the dunes of Provincetown. Research said he was famous for painting dunes but the collection owned by Newman Galleriies only had one that looked similar.
  6. canvasaccessories, 1 year ago
    Nice art. I saw some canvas frame here http://getcanvasplus.co.uk/canvas-accessories-and-tools.html, They are nice too. :)
  7. Dbrow, 12 months ago
    Ben Collins was artist at Beck Engraving In Philadelphia. My father worked there while Ben did. I have same picture of church in the fall. It's been framed but I think it's a print. It hung in my parent house forever! Would love to know more about this print, such as his inspiration for it. He passed in 1981 in Medford NJ. Ben was head of the art director there for years.
  8. jwolfschmidt, 2 months ago
    Hi there - I am Ben Collins' great grand daughter. This painting was of Newfane, Vermont. Every fall during the foliage season he and his wife would travel to New England to look for scenes for him to paint. He lived in Riverton, New Jersey and later in Medford, New Jersey. He enjoyed scene painting, but also did portraits as well. Most of their summers were spent in Ocean City where he did dune paintings, although the Barnegat Lighthouse on Long Beach Island was one of his favorite subjects. He studied art at the Museum School in Philadelphia, and soon after began working at Beck Engraving. He became the art director there and designed book covers and did illustrations.
  9. Margie09, 2 months ago
    Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it. We still have the painting hanging on my parents living room. Thanks jwolfschmidt.