Posted 1 year ago
3 Beautiful Cafe Martin Advertising Paper Fans .
By the end of the nineteenth century, the area around Madison Square Park was losing some of its luster. After being the center of New York’s social scene for nearly twenty-five years, some of its leading hotels and restaurants were beginning to close. Most notably, Delmonico’s did what it always did when faced with this situation; it shuttered its doors and followed society uptown. It had moved there in 1876, after closing its renowned restaurant at Union Square, and now it moved again, this time to Fifth Avenue and 44th Street. Despite these departures, Madison Square was still a stylish part of town, prompting French-born brothers Jean and Louis Martin to take over the lease on Delmonico’s old location on 26th Street, well-situated between Fifth Avenue and Broadway. They refurbished the building, giving it the look of a Parisian restaurant, complete with the latest flourishes of Art Nouveau design, and named it the Café Martin.
Opening in February 1902, the Café Martin was a gathering spot for the beau monde, the fashionable elite that became known as “café society.”
Thank you to Henry Voigt for his great work !