My Gorgeous Art Nouveau "Mystery" Vase

In Art Pottery > Art Nouveau Art Pottery > Show & Tell and Arts and Crafts > Show & Tell.
Art Nouveau Art Pottery186 of 242Mystery Swan vase. Henry Richards Co. Ltd. Art Nouveau Tile in Mackintosh Style

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
stefdesignstefdesign loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Hyp-storian

I recently purchased this (to me at least) stunning Art Nouveau copper clad vase, and am hoping that someone on here will be able to enlighten me as to its origin. It's not signed, but does have the number "1086" on the base. It measures 9 5/8 inches in height, and the seller told me it was "probably Bohemian" and "circa 1900 - 1910". It's in mint condition and the copper has a beautiful age-appropriate patina.
My wife and I absolutely love it, but would dearly like to know something about its maker and/or origin, and would appreciate any information.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

1. stefdesign stefdesign, 3 years ago
    Don't know a thing, it looks Arts & Crafts style, so the time period would be right. I'm totally green with envy! What a beautiful vase!
  2. Hyp-storian, 3 years ago
    Thank you kindly- my wife and I are absolutely nuts about it! This is actually the FIRST piece of "art pottery" that we've ever bought (we collect other things such as deco or nouveau bookends and letter openers), but simply couldn't resist this beauty!
  3. Hyp-storian, 3 years ago
    P.S. Being that we're "newbies" when it comes to this area of collecting, we're ignorant about value and probably paid "too much" for it ($350); but like I said, we simply "had" to have it (it was love at first sight)!
  4. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    It is beautiful and shows quality.

scott
  5. Hyp-storian, 2 years ago
    Thanks, Scott- that's exactly what I though when I first laid eyes on it.
    Kinda frustrating that the maker didn't sign it because I'd love to see what else he or she designed!
  6. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Also, I think your price paid was fine-- identify the maker and watch the price go up!

scott
  7. Hyp-storian, 2 years ago
    Well, I wouldn't want to sell it anyway- but it would certainly be nice to know who made it, and I'm hoping that someone on here will have an idea.
    How could somebody make something SO beautiful and NOT sign it...?

8. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    I've seen this sort of copper overlay on Bohemian glass produced most likely by Rindskopf or Welz, but the overlay was probably done by a different firm. Your piece, if of the same type, would bolster that argument. I suspect the overlay of this type was done by a single firm who contracted with various glass and ceramic houses to produce the base vase form upon which the firm's decorative overlay work was rendered. As such, you have two unknowns here - the ceramic vase maker and the overlay maker. The ceramic is likely produced by a Bohemian or German maker, but this is only a hunch based upon the glass/copper overlay pieces I've seen.
  9. Hyp-storian, 2 years ago
    Thank you kindly for that informed opinion- it corroborates what the seller told me about it most likely being "Bohemian" (and most certainly European); and I never even considered that the vase and overlay might have been made by two different firms.
    It's too bad that number "1086" doesn't provide any clues!
    But perhaps one day somebody who owns a similar one will know even more about it.
    Thanks again!

10. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    The number tells you that the vase form was mass produced, which supports the theory that the ceramic was contracted out. It looks from your picture that may be other marks on the bottom. Is this the case?
  11. Hyp-storian, 2 years ago
    Unfortunately no other marks on the base....just some age-appropriate "scuffing" from a century of being displayed on various shelves.
  12. smiata smiata, 1 year ago
    Such a stunningly beautiful vase!!!!
  13. Hyp-storian, 1 year ago
    Thanks so much- my wife and I never get tired of looking at it...!