Silver Plated 3 legged Globe Butterdish*

In China and Dinnerware > Show & Tell.
China and Dinnerware1775 of 2713Schumann Dresden Line plate 1945-49'ishRoyal worchester

sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
crabbykinscrabbykins loves this.
lundylundy loves this.
chinabluechinablue loves this.
jimborascojimborasco loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.

Luisa

Another Sally Ann find, that was supposed to be gifted along with the silver plate Ronson lighter in a previous post, but boyfriend really liked it, so I'll have to find another match! Made in England stamped on the bottom (looks to have been an accidental double stamp). Can't wait to clean it up, I had some insight it is probably from the 50's or 60's, even though it looks so Art Nouveau. Thanks for looking!

Comments

1. jimborasco jimborasco, 3 years ago
    It's a beautiful piece, but NOT an ashtray....it's a butter dish. Sorry to burst the bubble. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=silver+butter+dish&_sacat=0
  2. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Agree with jim on the butter dish attribution.

Scott
  3. Luisa Luisa, 3 years ago
    ha! thank you gentlemen for the clarification, and the link. Not such a bad disappointment, it is the appearance I bought it for. That would explain why I was unable to find any information about it!
  4. jimborasco jimborasco, 3 years ago
    What a relief...i was reluctant to send you the link, for fear of disappointing. Still, it's a great piece and thanks for sharing it with everyone. Jim
  5. chinablue chinablue, 3 years ago
    I 3rd that it's a domed/clamshell butter dish. They had a little glass saucer-like insert, flat on the bottom with a lip to hang on the ridge inside. Cold water could then be placed in the bottom portion, the glass dish over that and you're butter would stay fresher (and more solid) longer. I think they're great items. It's really pretty!
  6. Luisa Luisa, 3 years ago
    Thank you, chinablue! Interesting info, you can't find that in a book too easily. Thanks for the consideration, Jim, I hate being disappointed. If anything, it sets me off to find its potential mates, maybe a butter knife out there matches it!
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 3 years ago
    I wish I was particular enough to get a butter dish like this, but I have seen these used for all sorts of purposes these days, so ashtray is not surprising !~ Phil
  8. Luisa Luisa, 3 years ago
    thanks for the love Phil! I was looking for an ashtray like this, so I guess I was 'blinded' when I saw the butter dish : ) silly me, with no grooves in sight.
  9. lundy lundy, 3 years ago
    hi you have nice this you want my cat