What is it?

In Sterling Silver > Show & Tell and Glassware > Show & Tell.
Sterling Silver684 of 1141EPNS ARTS & CRAFTS PHOTO FRAMETEA SIPPERS.....WHERE FROM??????

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
smiatasmiata loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
PadmeLupinPadmeLupin loves this.
PoopPoop loves this.
bluebirdjunctionbluebirdjunction loves this.
kerryczkerrycz likes this.
chinabluechinablue loves this.

Flaggirl

I purchased this item at a thrift store and would like help identifying it's purpose / time period. It appears to be made of either silverplate or sterling silver and glass. One end pulls off and reveals a chamber inside and there is a chain attached to the exterior. There does not appear to be a maker's mark anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

1. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    I didn't know what it was but I love it. *LOL* Is it glass inside, or is the blue enamel? I have seen small perfume flasks that were worn as a pendant, but it's been a long time since I've seen one.. and it was quite small.
  2. Flaggirl, 2 years ago
    The blue material of the flask is the wall of the interior chamber. It looks like it is glass to me as it is transparent. The piece is quite large - ten inches long from tip to tip. Any ideas of time period?

Thanks for your help!
  3. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    Now I'm even more intrigued! For some reason from the photo, I just assumed it was small. Like 1 1/2 or 2 inches long type of small. At the size you posted, I'd be more inclined to think it a flask for spirits, but haven't seen one like it. I get the feeling from the picture that there was something else on that chain, or else the chain attached back to the flask to form a handle of some sort? I'll be watching to see what others come up with. And if I see anything like it, I'll post it here. I absolutely love playing sleuth for beautiful old things.
  4. bluebirdjunction, 2 years ago
    I think it is quite old. I would guess the silver to be sterling and the blue glass to be hand blown inside the silver form. As for use, it is really large. It may have held a fan or something that would be part of a chatelaine. I would love to know how much paid for it at a thrift store.
  5. MawamaMama MawamaMama, 2 years ago
    Jewish traveler's prayer holder? Maybe?
  6. Flaggirl, 2 years ago
    The chain is indeed attached back to the body of the (flask?) with another eye hook (not shown in the photo).

I paid $20.00 at Goodwill. Thank-you everyone for your help so far.
  7. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    Still having no real information, I saw the comment from MawamaMama and it got triggered a thought. It could be a mezuzah. They are decorative scroll holders used in Jewish homes and are placed near the doorway. They are made in all kinds of designs and of all kinds of materials, especially modern ones. Blue and silver(or white) seem frequently associated with those of the Jewish faith, so that would make sense. Just a thought I wanted to put out there.
  8. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    It, almost certainly, is slung over the neck of a St. Bernard dog and rests right next to the brandy flask. For those extreme mountain rescues where brandy alone is not enough the victim can be coaxed back to life with a fine cuban cigar.
  9. Aimathena Aimathena, 2 months ago