Ethel Washington eskimo doll

In Dolls > Show & Tell and Folk Art > Show & Tell.
Dolls1265 of 2368Native American No Face Doll by Jeanenne LesterPorcelain sitting Dangling Clown Doll

MISTAKAZUMISTAKAZU loves this.
EskimodollEskimodoll loves this.

Woman34

I bought this doll a few years ago on an online auction (not ebay) and had it posted on another photo sharing account. About a year ago, a lady saw this doll on my photo stream and this is what she told me about it:

What you have is an Ethel Washington doll. They are very valueable, and highly collectible. I've heard of them selling for as high as $27,000. I am a doll maker from the same town, and she was my inspiration. As for the condition of your doll, I don't know what it would be worth, but I have been offered similar when I wasn't in a good situation to buy,and they were quite spendy also.

So, I researched, and it looks a lot like her dolls. If it is one, then I am happy to own it.

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Stunning workmanship ! Love her thanks for sharing her and the history :-)
  2. Woman34 Woman34, 2 years ago
    Thank you Manikin for your comment; I've had this guy now since about 2002. I sadly don't know how to care for him and I keep him in a plastic bag in my closet. He is drying out. Any tips you can provide on the best way to store or display him would be appreciated.
  3. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Not in a plastic bag . It needs air . If you choose not to display in a glass cabinet I would store in a chest that some air can get to . I am not sure if your in Alaska my son lives there and I know it is cold . You want to keep it in a in area that does not freeze or get to hot as you know wood ex panda and contracts by temperature . The leather may get dry but at this point I would not put anything on it but let is gather a little steam maybe in a bathroom that you have run hot water in . Is the clothes fur ? since she normally used fur ? You may want to keep in a cedar chest . If mine I would prefer her in a glass dome out of sunlight to stop any further drying . Hope that helps . But get it out of plastic bag that is worse place to store a doll of any kind . You have a real treasure to be guardian of :-) We have Queen Ann wooden dolls that are 200 years old and they wood is still good but hard to keep clothes safe if not caught in time .
  4. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Oh I would store standing up on a stand with no pressure on her feet ot legs or laying completely flat so you don't stress fabric by bending her .
  5. Woman34 Woman34, 2 years ago
    Thanks Mani so much for the information! I will do these things as soon as I can:).
  6. Eskimodoll, 1 year ago
    Hi,
    I'm the one from Flickr who told you that you have an Ethel Washington doll :)
    I'm always happy to see one of her dolls, and any others from Kotzebue. I've made it my lifes work to study Eskimo doll making, and I consider Ethels dolls to be among the very best. I'm constantly on the lookout for them, and sometimes I just happen to find them by chance- like yours! I'm glad I was able to be of assistance.
    Kathy Ward
    Kotzebue, Alaska
  7. Woman34 Woman34, 7 months ago
    Thanks Ms. Ward for the information you gave me and good to hear from you again:).