Any help with this train signal?

In Railroadiana > Show & Tell.
Railroadiana303 of 693The NEW Streamliner - the City of San Francisco Model Train (Wooden)

gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
nannahnannah loves this.

fastharryD…

I have a guy who wants to give me this...says it's a switching signal from the early 1900's....Any ideas as to what, when and worth getting?

Comments

1. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    Looks to be a rail track switch. It moves switch points to put the railroad cars and locomotive onto another track. The target on the top usually has two different colors on top and the switchmen can tell at a distance which way the track is lined by the colors. I, being a railroader for 40 + years, think it is a part of railroad history and I think you ought to giv it a home in your front or back yard!
  2. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 3 years ago
    TAKE IT!!!!!!!!
  3. fastharryDOTcom fastharryDOTcom, 3 years ago
    Hi Guys...Good Morning!...I am going over to the guys house to see if their are any ID marks on it....Any ideas what years this is from?...or value?...don't want to pay for it (100 dollars) if it is worth nothing and may not be able to sell it if I ever decide to..Thanks for all your help...harry
  4. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    Is there any way you could post photos from the sides of it? That might help in identifying it. Did the guy go from giving it to you, as in your description' to $100.00 ??
  5. fastharryDOTcom fastharryDOTcom, 3 years ago
    I will take more pics and post them tomorrow night..and also look for ID marks. The guy is giving it to me for 25 bucks...I have to split the profit with him after he moves if I ever sell it...The other 75 is gonna come from paying a few guys for help and pizza after...
  6. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    I understand. Looks like you have some angle bars,on the ground there, that comes with it.
  7. fastharryDOTcom fastharryDOTcom, 3 years ago
    yep..I'm gonna grab the whole thing...gonna look at it close wed night..and see if I can get it picked up fri..you think this thing has any worth?..even though I am not selling, I hate to invest in a piece of old cast metal...especially since it will be awhile before I can display/restore whatever..
  8. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    Dont know about the worth in dollars, but I think it would make a great Mailbox stand for a railroad enthusiast.
  9. fastharryDOTcom fastharryDOTcom, 3 years ago
    hmm..that's a good idea too.....thanks for your help...