UNO STRAINER MARTINI C. CAUDANO TORINO

In Advertising > Show & Tell and Kitchen > Show & Tell.
Advertising1968 of 4345e-bay, came in todayYellow cab hat

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.
AnnClaireAnnClaire loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
inkyinky likes this.
lasslass loves this.
BudekBudek loves this.

vetraio50

Cocktails for the Fourth?

Cocktails have been a big thing recently on CW ; ) Bellin!
This is an item that I found in a box of thrown-away cutlery in a thrift store. I saw that there was a mark on the handle, thought Alessi but instead saw "Caudano". None the wiser, I looked again and was able to make out the word "Martini" in the perforated shield.

"H. L. Mencken called the martini "the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet" and E. B. White called it "the elixir of quietude"." (Wikipedia)

C. Caudano was a company that produced cutlery in Turin (Torino), Italy. The company was in business at Piazza Carlo FELICE 28, since 1854. They made razors, coffee grinders, kitchen weights & scales, "elettrodomestici, articoli per la tavola, tutto per la casa, per ogni casa". They used a trademark of "Il Popolare" (The Popular aka "of the people").

Martini has a double meaning on the strainer I suppose. To make one you need: Cocktail shaker, ice, gin (or vodka), dry VERMOUTH, cocktail STRAINER, martini glass, olive or lemon twist.

Wikipedia says: "Noël Coward suggested that a perfect martini should be made by "filling a glass with gin then waving it in the general direction of Italy" (which along with France is a major producer of vermouth)."

What Wiki misses here is that Noël mentions Italy because they had been making a vermouth since 1863 in a vermouth bottling plant in Pessione in the area around Torino (Piemonte) . The firm that made it was also called "Martini" = Martini & Rossi Distilleria Nazionale di Spirito di Vino, in Turin. This was the vermouth that Noël might well have been hinting at and waving towards Torino in the quote above.

"Since the earliest days, Martini have marketed their products aggressively," and there are other examples made at C. Caudano with the Martini trademark. I have seen recently an olive for on ebay.

I think this one may go back to the thirties, but I am not sure.

I'd be pleased to hear if anyone can give me more information about Caudano and Martini e Rossi.

For an interesting martini variation for the Fourth called the Aviation check out this blog: http://astripedsailorshirt.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/rimbocca-please-aviation.html
It's in English further down the page!

Rimbocca!

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Thanks Bellin! Happy fourth from Down Under! A belated greeting to the Canadians too! On Sunday I was walking down Chinatown here in Sydney and there were lots of girls wearing Canadian bouncing stars on their heads.
  2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Many thanks Budek!
  3. lass lass, 2 years ago
    Very nice, I have a similar somewhere. Off to England for a short stay, hope I find something at the antique market on saturday.
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Many thanks lass! Enjoy the hunt in old Blighty!
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Many thanks AmberRose!
  6. AnnClaire, 2 years ago
    I found a martini spoon with martini marked on it and stampedCAUDANO TORINO. I am still researching. Wondering if it silver plated? I will send a photo later
  7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Many thanks AnnClaire and good luck! Please keep me informed!
  8. Bruce99 Bruce99, 2 years ago
    Very nice.
    I was thinking there would probably be a market for one with "007" perforations...something reminiscent of bullet holes from a Walther PPK (:
  9. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Many thanks PhilAlexander and Bruce99.
  10. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    I'm sure there's be a market for anything related to Bond 007, Bruce009!
  11. Bruce99 Bruce99, 2 years ago
    You're very welcome vetraio50 and thanks for the chuckles! (: "009" sounded familiar and sure enough, I found out that he bought it in Octopussy BUT the double 0 designations are used again so not to worry, I'll have time for at least one more martini! Great item! Thanks for sharing!
  12. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Cin, cin! ; )
  13. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Make mine dry and no olives please, Neat piece. The Bond, James Bond reference is great, I had to laugh. Thanks again for the chuckles. :-)
  14. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Thanks kerry10456!
  15. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Casino Royale Chapter 7.
    A Vesper.

'A dry Martini,’ he said. ‘One. In a deep champagne goblet.’
    ‘Oui, Monsieur.’
    ‘Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large slice of lemon-peel. Got it?’
  16. vetraio50 vetraio50, 6 months ago
    Many thanks TOM61375!
  17. tom61375 tom61375, 6 months ago
    You are very welcome vetraio50! =)
  18. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 months ago