Posted 2 years ago
The Pabst Brewing Company was the first of the great Milwaukee brewers. Quality, pride, tradition, and hops were the ingredients in the legacy left by German immigrant Jacob Best Sr., (left) who established the brewery in 1844.
Under the guidance of his son Phillip Best (middle left ) and Phillip’s son-in-law, Captain Frederick Pabst (lower left), a small local producer became America’s largest brewer from the late 1800s until 1946.
With the closing of the brewery in 1996 came the opening of opportunity. After many years of blood, sweat, and beers, the “best use” of these buildings has fermented into Best Place at the historic Pabst Brewery taking its name from the founders, Jacob Best and Phillip Best and its spirit from the Captain, Frederick Pabst.
After the Pabst Brewery closed in Milwaukee in December 1996, it sat empty until 2001. It was at that time that Jim Haertel received his accepted offer to purchase the Pabst Brewery on September 11, 2001. Great care has been taken to ensure that Blue Ribbon Hall, The Captain’s Courtyard, The Guest Center, The King’s Courtyard, and the original Gift Shop have all been restored to their original glory. Since the first phone call was placed inquiring about buying the property, the brewery is once again full of life and laughter as "Best Place at the Historic Pabst Brewery" and is once again open and ready to welcome you.
Captain Federicks home is now a Tourist site as well and welcomes tours and has some amazing antiques in it .